News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Revolution in Connie?

Started by Jerry McColgan, July 12, 2013, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry McColgan

Has anyone put a Revolution into a (Yellow Pine Lumber) 2-8-0 Connie?

Would the loco have to be disassembled or could it be done through the tender?

Wiring Diagram?

Thanks,

Jerry

StanAmes

Jerry

There are 6 wires going from the locomotive to the tender.  2 are for track power, 2 are for the rear light and 2 are for the chuff

The trick is to determine which wires you need and remap the existing wires for your use.  You can easily get to the locomotive side
unscrewing the 4 small screws in the pan under the cab.

Myself I use 2 for track power, 2 for the motor and 2 for the chuff

For battery power using the revolution I might suggest 2 for the motor 2 for the front headlight and 2 for the chuff

To easily get the wires from the motor to the board under the cab I found it easiest to remove the boiler.  At the same time I removed the filter caps and inductors on the top of the motor and also lubed the bearing on the motor top.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

I am assuming you will be using the onboard receiver and battery for power.  It can be done thru the tender.   The only thing needed on the loco is to remove the ashpan and disconnect the plug labeled CON 7.  This will isolate the locomotive from the track.  Remove the track power wiring and wipers from the tender truck,   Connect the battery to the Input terminals on the Revo using an on off switch between. Cut the rear headlight wires and run the wires leading from the locomotive to the motor side of the REVO.  Run the rear headlight wires to the lighting terminals on the revo making sure to leave the little resistor in the circuit to avoid burning out the LED.  Add the linking button and you are done.  There are other ways to do it but this is how I did it and have operated the locos just fine ever since!

The links below should help,
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21645.0.htm
The link may help, I would use method 1.
http://rcs-rc.com/PDF/Acessories/Installation-kits/BIK-CONNIE.pdf

Good luck with your install.

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jerry McColgan

Hi Stan & Bill,

I should have clarified that I will be using track power with the Revolution.

My main concern was what I would have to do to reroute the loco track contacts from the motors and run them instead to the Revolution in the tender and then feeding power from the tender back to the motors.

It sounds like it will not be that difficult.

My wife has been in the hospital the last few days getting a broken leg fixed. She is home now but still needs a fair amount of attention so things are on a hold for now.

Thanks for the help and the ideas,

Jerry

Dave

Hi Jerry, if you are going to the trouble of installing a Revolution in your Loco,why not spend another $20 and fit Li-ion batteries and save yourself the constant problem of track cleaning and polarity problems on reverse loops etc. Bachmann Locos are really easy to convert to Battery power and will run for hours on a set of Batteries. Loco Bill is the Guru on Battery power,so I'm sure he will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Cheers
                Dave
                New Zealand

Jerry McColgan

Hi Guys,

I decided to keep the Connie (and a recently acquired Annie) on track power without a Revolution. If anything for remote control, I will use older Train Engineers to control the track power along with Aristo Everest and various LGB & Bridgewerks power supplies.

For me battery power is not a practical option both due to cost and maintenance issues. I have nothing against battery power other than it is not a reasonable option for me.

I run mainly track power but also DCC, DCS, Revolution, Train Engineer, Live Steam and even some battery power on my layouts.

Thanks,

Jerry