News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Casey Jones and his engines

Started by GG1onFordsDTandI, August 04, 2013, 06:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

TRAINS magazine had a special issue edition on famous Train crashes. Casey Jones was one of the featured articles.

I highly recommend it !!!!

In the old days there were no radios, computers or electronics of Any sort it was all seat of the pants and instinct train driving. Like in aviation a lot was learned in the "old" days when accidents often ended tragically with injuries, loss of life, and damaged equipment.

I for one consider Casey a hero. He could have jumped the train but when you read the article he did his best to make sure the conditions were survivable for the crew jumping off. We will never know why he didn't jump the article suggests he ran out of time, maybe he "froze" or the conditions of where to jump were not available.

In a time when our kids are no longer being taught many of our traditional heroes such of those with character, code of conduct, and self sacrifice we need to keep their spirits alive for the next future generations.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Feeling lazy, going to skip the quotes, my apologies is you get lost.

Maybe andrewed was on a phone  ;) That kind of devotion deserves a pardon from the "grammar slammer" :D
Obviously a caring individual, his frustration my have led to it too. addrewed I do hope you're still reading here as well as researching the man himself. After learning, you've lost nothing, even if you feel the same. And well, that's admirable in a way. But if you feel different isn't that a personal gain?   

Ding, ding, ding........jward wins!!! :D Veranda unit- U-boat with an "U-mbrella" (covered walkway).

Never saw the TV show (was that the skipper?). Just a little before my time. But I did recognize the tune. Its quite old. I know it a little, different words here and there...and those are a bit sketchy. Learned it in Twinsburg, Ohio schools, at the old school on the hill. I think it was done as a "big band swing tune too"  It was also, of course in an ad for "Good and Plenty" candy. Same tune, but its about a child, Charley, who appears to be a rail fan, and likes "black liquorish" candies.

Anyone else notice the wiki- bit about Casey having a custom 6-tube whistle? Wonder it any of those whistle enthusiasts have reproduced one? 

vvvv-?? Heroic ??-vvvv   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Jones#Rescue_of_Child_from_the_Tracks

andrewd

still I don't think Casey is famous enough to have 382 as a model in any scale what so ever so forget Casey Jones ever existed and stop talking about him

Jerrys HO

Everyone has their opinions. If you don't like reading about it, DON'T read it but don't tell us to stop talking about him or his loco . This is a freedom of speech country (unless the overlords step in ;D)

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on August 07, 2013, 08:24:27 PM
personally, from my experience many railroaders wished that the u boats and many other ge locomotives had been banned. they were notorious dogs, and many spent much of their lives parked due to high maintenance costs.

Jeff-

Wasn't this true pretty much from day one? I can't recall ever hearing a kind word about the real U-boats from a real railroader. I suppose this is a big part of why they aren't exceptionally popular models, either.

-- D

andrewd

Casey was a fraud he went too fast on a regular basis so it is his fault he crashed and still if I was told I was to tell his family why he didn't come home I have a feeling I would be almost killed

Jerrys HO

andrew

Quoteand still if I was told I was to tell his family why he didn't come home I have a feeling I would be almost killed

SHHH!!! just don't tell them. ;D ;D ;D ;D you'll be alright.

Doneldon

Quote from: andrewd on August 08, 2013, 06:16:19 PM
if I was told I was to tell his family why he didn't come home I have a feeling I would be almost killed

Andrew-

Judging from several of your other posts today, worse things have happened.

-- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: andrewd on August 08, 2013, 04:58:38 PM
still I don't think Casey is famous enough to have 382 as a model in any scale what so ever so forget Casey Jones ever existed and stop talking about him

Nice.... I tried to be nice in encouraging you to voice an intelligent response with friendly jabbing and smileys. My mistake.
Ill skip big words, smileys, and any complicated punctuations here as not to confuse you "andrude".
  His family, well aware of his reputation would be bigger morons than you if they took it out on you for delivering the news. I find that hard to believe. I guess your to much of an idiot to get that.  Don't teach your children this story, let them learn the same way Casey did. He is obviously famous. Fame does not mean he is a hero. But he was a hero, before the crash at least. The trains have been already been made in multiple scales. How long ago? Well lets just say the number of years is about the same as your IQ. AND this post has generated more involvement than most have this summer. When was your last contribution? Skip this thread if you don't like it. Just go to your settings and un-subscribe, you narrow minded piece of sh..shiny clay. Then You can stop talking about Casey, eat Baby Ruth you feeble little troll. Ill be sharpening my tongue should you care to take these messages private. Till you muster enough....whatever chemical it is you're lacking, how about showing some respect, and acting of age.

please ignore him and don't talk about him (andrewd) further. It will hopefully allow him to move on to a post more to his liking.  

jward

Quote from: Doneldon on August 08, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: jward on August 07, 2013, 08:24:27 PM
personally, from my experience many railroaders wished that the u boats and many other ge locomotives had been banned. they were notorious dogs, and many spent much of their lives parked due to high maintenance costs.

Jeff-

Wasn't this true pretty much from day one? I can't recall ever hearing a kind word about the real U-boats from a real railroader. I suppose this is a big part of why they aren't exceptionally popular models, either.

-- D

I know the trouble we had with the dash 7s, which were a drastic improvement over the u boats. most of the big railroads got rid of their u boats when the equipment leases ran out, usually about age 15. with emd units they would buy out the lease and overhaul them, but with ge products in general, there is no point in a major rebuild program. one of the problems they have is engineroom fires, from oil leaking into places it shouldn't be. in benign cases this causes "flame outs" erupting from the stack. another problem which plagued some u boats was aluminum cabling, which corrodes when in contact with certain other metals. this can cause electrical fires.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

J3a-614

Well, some people here seem to like controversy, I just say I like trains.

One of the locomotives Casey ran (or might have run--odds are quite good for that, actually), survives today:

http://www.railarchive.net/randomsteam/ic201.htm

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0100/ic201b.jpg

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/ic201a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IC_201_20050716_IL_Union.jpg

Watch out for all the foam from the Forney fans around here!  :-)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on August 08, 2013, 03:32:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Jones#Rescue_of_Child_from_the_Tracks

Thanks for that link. I find it particularly interesting that the "legend" seems to have started almost immediately, courtesy of the newspaper man who was on the train.

WoundedBear

Myself, I prefer the Grateful Dead's version of the ballad ;D

Sid

GG1onFordsDTandI

I know that one too. During the 90s "Greatfull Dead" and "Dylan" became my nickname. Not because I listened to the music often. But because the hair was still past the sholders. I blew everyone in 2000 with a narrow flat top. My hair hadn't been that short since 1969-70.

At lest when the Verandas when they broke down, you could wait on the "porch" under the "umbrella"
My Grandfather referred to them as umbrella boats, but he used his own vernacular quite a bit.     

GG1onFordsDTandI

Against my own request but I have noticed andrewd is only a guest now ???. I wonder if he accidently deleted his account while in settings, attempting to adjust his settings? Its happened before. He could possibly start a new account.
Sorry to anyone ticked off, I do prefer to play nice.