News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Southern Railway 630

Started by Narrowgauge12, August 05, 2013, 12:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge12

Hi everyone, I am in the process of building/making an accurate HO scale 630 to run with some various things to make the 21st Century Steam program ran By Norfolk Southern. I have bought my base model, a standard Bachmann 2-8-0 with sound. I have the decals for the lettering, and plan on moving things around on the locomotive to make it look more like the real thing. But when i get to the tender, the normal tender on the 2-8-0 is way to short to match an accurate thing. So Ive looked and the closest thing i can find to 630s real tender is a tender from the USRA 2-10-2 lettered Southern railway. Does anyone have an idea were i can find one besides ebay and maybe the parts page?
Also if anybody has any things they would like to help me with, like if i should put accurate southern valve gear on or some other things as well.
Thanks as always ~Chris :D

Doneldon

NG12-

eBay is your best bet. You can also check various on-line stores and/or do a Googol search.

You might find what you are looking for at a train show or swap meet. You never know what will show up at such an event but you could get lucky. The shows are a good place to talk with hobby shop owners and other model rails so you might get a lead on the tender you want even if there isn't one at the show.

Good luck with your quest.

-- D

Narrowgauge12

Quote from: Doneldon on August 05, 2013, 12:42:22 AM
NG12-

eBay is your best bet. You can also check various on-line stores and/or do a Googol search.

You might find what you are looking for at a train show or swap meet. You never know what will show up at such an event but you could get lucky. The shows are a good place to talk with hobby shop owners and other model rails so you might get a lead on the tender you want even if there isn't one at the show.

Good luck with your quest.

-- D

Yea i was thinkin the same thing, only problem is, were i live there arnt many train shows other than the eastern part of the state. But i can keep an eye out.

WTierce1

I really think that this locomotive should be made by Bachmann. They actually produce Southern 722 which is the direct sister of 630. 722 is actually in pieces on the GSMRR while 630 is actually in service. Either way, I have also thought about doing this exept also retrofitting the Southern style valve gear from the 2-10-2 onto it. A quick fact that you might not know is that the tender on 630 is actually not the original tender. It was built from scratch because the other tender was in really ruff shape and is now sitting on a siding between East Chattanooga and Grand Junction.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Narrowgauge12

Quote from: wtierce on August 05, 2013, 09:28:52 AM
I really think that this locomotive should be made by Bachmann. They actually produce Southern 722 which is the direct sister of 630. 722 is actually in pieces on the GSMRR while 630 is actually in service. Either way, I have also thought about doing this exept also retrofitting the Southern style valve gear from the 2-10-2 onto it. A quick fact that you might not know is that the tender on 630 is actually not the original tender. It was built from scratch because the other tender was in really ruff shape and is now sitting on a siding between East Chattanooga and Grand Junction.
i know every bit of that info wtierce, i live in the Mountain area of NC and have been around to see, yes i think bachmann should make this model and i have the 722, but its not at all accurate to the real thing. (even though i plan on beefing it up once i get my 630 done. Yes 630 has had three tenders built, her original which was scrapped due to ware and tear i think when she went to the ET&WNC (my favorite road) then when she was restored in 2011 they built one from the tender frame of 4501, cause 4501 is gettin a new tender with the stoker built in. And yea i do plan on puttin the valve gear on her once im done modeling and have a sorta correct style tender to what she has now, but thanks for the tip  ;)