News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3way turnout switch.

Started by Balrog21, August 05, 2013, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

Anyone have any tips, cautions, kudos about using a 3 way switch on their layout? I've done a few changes to my yard area on my layout to make it a little more functional if it were done in real life and the 3 way switch helps to do that. Matter of factly I'm going to have two of them. Ez track doesn't make one of these, so wish they did, so I'm looking at the peco one. So, go with it or avoid them like the plague. By what I've read the main problem is with the wiring from what I've read. But it seems pretty straight forward to me. If you have any experience with these please share.
Thanks,
Bal

Doneldon

Bal-

Peco's merchandise is very good quality. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of their three-way turnouts. The only hassle would be building the transition from EZ Track to Peco, but that shouldn't be too bad.

-- D

Balrog21

Thanks, Don! Much appreciated!

Bob_B

Quote from: Balrog21 on August 05, 2013, 10:45:40 AM
.... Ez track doesn't make one of these, so wish they did, .....

They don't make a crossover switch either, so wish they did .....
I use one on my Marklin Z scale and it adds variety to the layout.

jward

some of the older peco 3 ways were not made to nmra specs. the flangeways were too wide in the guardrails, which caused cars to pick the frog, particularly when backing them. if you get one of these, a simple improvement is to narrow the flangeways by cementing strips of styrene to the guardrails.

other than that, my experience with peco has been good.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

81F

The only thing to watch is that the 3 way point has two dead bits on any given route through the point. This is not usually an issue unless you have an 0-4-0 locomotives (or one that picks up from just two axels) where the axels are the same distance apart as the dead pieces. Otherwise they are a nice piece of kit. Just remember if you do have one of the 0-4-0s mentioned you should be OK if you take the point at enogh speed for the momentum to carry the loco across.
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

Balrog21

All diesels on the layout.  ;D but thanks for the info!

rogertra

Quote from: 81F on August 12, 2013, 05:29:48 PM
The only thing to watch is that the 3 way point has two dead bits on any given route through the point. This is not usually an issue unless you have an 0-4-0 locomotives (or one that picks up from just two axels) where the axels are the same distance apart as the dead pieces. Otherwise they are a nice piece of kit. Just remember if you do have one of the 0-4-0s mentioned you should be OK if you take the point at enogh speed for the momentum to carry the loco across.

Actually Steve, the "two dead bits" are through the frogs ("common crossing" in the UK)  not the points - unless you have a bad contact or your points are not "DCC friendly".   In both North America and the UK, the points, (technically called "switch points" in both North America and the UK) are the two moving rails that actually select the route through the switch/points/turnout.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.