News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-4

Started by rondon47, August 24, 2013, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rondon47

How difficult is it to change out the front headlight bulb/LED on the standard DCC on Board 4-8-4?  I installed a sound unit in the loco and it immediately blew the headlight.

Doneldon

rd-

Your decoder probably sent 12 volts to your light and you either have a lower voltage bulb or (more likely) an LED. It's not too difficult to replace the light, especially since you've already demonstrated the skills to do a DCC install, but you'll need to either use a 12v bulb or add a resistor so you don't blow another one. Of those alternatives, I heartedly endorse using an LED. Bulbs, especially ones as powerful at 12v bulbs, generate a lot of heat, maybe even enough to melt or distort the plastic light fixture.

Use an 800 ohm resistor which is available anywhere they sell electronic products. The Shack may be the easiest to find. They charge too much but by the time you pay for shipping from another source or the hassle value of running all over town to find an electronics retailer, the Shack price will look quite satisfactory.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Don;
You are correct.  A pack of resistors isn't the world debt.  In a pinch, ratshack works.
Rich C.

rondon47

My question was on the difficulty of replacing the headlight.  I know all about LEDs and resistors and 12 volt bulbs and their heat output.  Is it difficult to access the old headlight bulb in order to replace it with an LED? What do I need to do to get the shell off so that I can access the headlight bulb?

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: rondon47 on August 31, 2013, 11:26:11 PM
My question was on the difficulty of replacing the headlight.  I know all about LEDs and resistors and 12 volt bulbs and their heat output.  Is it difficult to access the old headlight bulb in order to replace it with an LED? What do I need to do to get the shell off so that I can access the headlight bulb?

Which 4-8-4 do you have? The GS-4? The Santa Fe Northern? or the New York Central one?

RAM

You missed one.  how about the J

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: RAM on September 01, 2013, 09:47:11 PM
You missed one.  how about the J

I thought I was forgetting one yesterday when I posted my response but I couldn't for the life of me remember which one I was forgetting. So I left it out and also he said standard line 4-8-4 and the J was (until it was discontinued a few years ago) a Spectrum Line engine.

rondon47

The 4-8-4 I have is the standard line Santa Fe Northern type.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: rondon47 on September 05, 2013, 10:31:05 AM
The 4-8-4 I have is the standard line Santa Fe Northern type.

I have that one as well. To get the shell off you will want to start by removing the pilot and trailing trucks. Then you should see 2 screws at the front and 2 screw at the rear of the loco chassis. You will want to remove the 2 screws at the back of the locomotive and the screws at the front and put the front knuckle off to one side. Then just remove the locomotive shell by lifting it vertically off the chassis. for the tender there should be two at the front, one in the middle and one at the back of the tender you will remove then lift the tender shell away.

rondon47

thanks to all who replied to my question.  I think I have things well in hand at the moment.  I appreciate the help.