News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

IHC Covered Hoppers

Started by cmsluss, August 09, 2013, 08:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG1onFordsDTandI

Thanks for the chemistry primer Ray, that's good to know.

Doneldon

Ray-

That's some interesting stuff. I wouldn't have expected the lead could expand to the point of breaking out the tanks but if rust can fracture concrete I guess it isn't such a surprise.

It's good to hear from you again.
                                                           -- D

CNE Runner

Thank you so much for the warm words...they are appreciated. Hopefully my post has prevented someone from experiencing the loss of a cherished model. [PS: I didn't remember the connection between molecular size and expansion until I came across that article in Railway Modeller.] CA (cyanoacrylate) is more expensive than PVA adhesives; but would seem more applicable in this instance (one would not be using all that much in this instance). For my 2 cents, I will only use PVA for ballast, wooden/card structures and the like...not for the retention of metals - especially lead.

I suggest that each of you try to find a copy of Railway Modeller or The Hornby Magazine; if only to see how 'things' are done in the UK. Bachmann produces some awesome stock in its UK range. One example is their SECR C Class 0-6-0 that is stunning...how the heck did they find someone with a steady enough hand to stripe the driver axles?

Personally I do not model UK railways...'really don't know all that much about them. However I have canceled just about all my US model railroad publications as I am dissatisfied with how the material is presented. The aforementioned UK publications have a 'knack' of explaining things that is informative - without being overly simplified. WARNING: These publications are very expensive (~ $11/issue USD). My Railway Modeller subscription is digital (Kindle) and is ~ half the export print price. I am hoping The Hornby Magazine will follow suit. [Continental Modeller is already available in digital (Kindle) format.] Those of you, possessing a Kindle Fire HD, can download the Railway Modeller ap and view the latest issue for free. Be careful as you have to notify Amazon that you do not wish to actually subscribe to the magazine as the start (and subsequent renewals) are automatic.

So, in summary, thanks again for the well wishes and check out those magazines. In no time you will be sending for a Metcalfe card kit (I've built 3 and have no use for any...they were fun); or spending a 'fun filled' evening converting the NEM couplers on a 7-plank wagon to Kadees. Oh, E. Hatton's of Liverpool are wonderful to deal with and have an active supply-the-U.S.-with-OO-stuff program. Do keep in mind that the UK is mainly OO gauge with is slightly larger than HO (but is the same track gauge). Now if I Oxford Diecasting would only offer a Series II Land Rover 88...

Warmest regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

No problem Ray.

If my tanker car ends up busting its seems from a reaction between the lead fishing weights and the Tacky glue, I will post back here.  Although, seeing it "explode" might be kind of cool :o and maybe even somewhat realistic.  Luckily, if it happens, I will not view it as such a loss, but chalk it up to a learning experience.

I would like to add AHM 4 bay hoppers to the "do not buy list" as well.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

would those be the offset side 40 footers? or the rib side 50 footers? both types of hoppers have had similar models made by higher quality companies, the offset side by athearn and Bachmann silver series, the rib side by walthers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

The 4 bay 40fters Jeff "open hopper".  Made in Taiwan by Kader, that does not have movable hatches on the bays.  Very cheesy under carriage/centerbeam, made out of ABS plastic.  The detail is not bad but...
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I have one of those I took the time to upgrade, simply because I liked the paint scheme.  kadee 148 couplers, screwed to the flat end of the underframe. trucks replaced with a pair of athearns I had laying around, mounted with a screw and nut through the original bolster hole. for weight you can flip the car over and use bird shot poured into the recesses between the bays, secured with super glue. that should get weight close to nmra standard though it may still be a little light. this is the same process I've used on bowser h39 hoppers.

back in the day, every car was underweight no matter who made it. to-day we've gotten much better with most of the ready to roll cars close to proper weight.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Thank you Jeff.  Yes, I had better luck doing something similar to that on a TYCO B & M 4 bay hopper.  It's frame seemed a little better made than this Taiwanese AHM.

I saw an AHM helium car go for $20 the other day on Estupid.  Incredible!!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I suspect the expansion problem may also relate to how full the available space for weights was filled.

I have some tank cars I did the BBs held in place with white glue trick to over 40 years ago that are still in good shape. But I didn't fill the entire tank, or even half of it, with BBs to get the weight I wanted.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.