Revolution with sound in the Climax...how to get the lights to work?

Started by bobdvt, August 11, 2013, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobdvt

The topic says it all.  I have installed the Revolution Rx with sound in a Climax using battery power.  However the lights and firebox flicker do not work.  I know there is a way to do this, but am too concerned I'll generate 'magic smoke' to go poking around without some sound guidance.  Does anyone have a diagram or pictures or simple directions to follow in order to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Dave

Gidday Bob,
                If you go into the Revolution website there is a download with all the instructions for lights and sound triggers etc. It must be easy cos I managed to install 3 of them and they have all been a success, so far.
                 Dave
                  New Zealand

Dave

Think I jumped the gun a bit. Had a look on the website and it looks looks like the sound RX is different and there is no custom installation plug listed. That will make it tricky.

Dave

grsman

Dave
Is this a PNP engine? I think you will find that B+ & GND are missing from J1 pins 6 & 7. The DC PCB provides this. When you removed this PCB to plug in the Revolution, you disconnected the B+ & GND. The revolution does not provide this. I believe you have to jumper the battery + & - to J1 pins 6 & 7. There were some discussions about this on Largescalecentral. Someone there had the same problem.
The answer is a little different if you are using track power.
Tom

bobdvt

Loco Bill seems to be able to lend good information on most issues brought up on this forum.  I wonder if he might be able to 'chime in' on this issue.  My concerns in jumpering the battery voltage to J1  pins 6 & 7 is the amount of Voltage.  I am using a 14.8 volt battery.  Will that cause magic smoke?  Hate to 'burn up' the Bach board and/or the Revolution Rx with the wrong voltage or connections.

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,
I wish I could help, but I have never done that kind of install, and can't help.  I was hoping Kevin Strong or Steve Ames could help.

Hopefully they or another with experience will chime in!! 

While I appreciate the nice comments, I am by no means an expert on all things, which is why we have a great team of folks on this site who usually have an answer!  I have only done one install using the revo with sound, and it was in a USAT brand diesel.  It went in with the lights working fine using the original circuit board. It was a Non pNP install at that.

Anyone who can help please give Bob a hand.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

grsman

Quote from: bobdvt on August 21, 2013, 11:10:29 AM
Loco Bill seems to be able to lend good information on most issues brought up on this forum.  I wonder if he might be able to 'chime in' on this issue.  My concerns in jumpering the battery voltage to J1  pins 6 & 7 is the amount of Voltage.  I am using a 14.8 volt battery.  Will that cause magic smoke?  Hate to 'burn up' the Bach board and/or the Revolution Rx with the wrong voltage or connections.

Bob
Bob
You didn't say that this is a PNP engine. Since you talked about pins 6 & 7 I guess it is. If you look at the DC PCB you removed you will see that it applies track voltage through a full wave bridge rectifier to pins 6 & 7. I just used a full wave rectifier to apply track voltage to pins 6 & 7 in my Bachmann 2-6-6-2 to get the lights to work. The rectifier is required when using track voltage because the track polarity changes. You MUST not apply voltage to pins 6 & 7 backwards. When you are using a battery the polarity will not change and you don't have to worry using a rectifier. If you connect the track connections to Pins 6 & 7 (instead of the battery directly) you can run track power or battery with the flip of a switch. The battery/track selection switch connects the track pickups or the battery to the track connections (pins J1-1 & J1-12). You MUST use a rectifier if you wish to use track power. These connections are pretty easy to trace on the PNP PC board.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT WHAT I AM TELLING YOU OR YOUR ABILITIES - DON'T DO IT!
Tom

bobdvt

The Climax is a PNP loco and I do not plan to run the engine with Track Power.  I am running it with a 14.8 volt Lith-Ion battery.  My concern is the amount of voltage to pins 6 & 7.  I do know enough to keep polarity proper (battery + to pad +.)  Just my concern is amount of voltage being applied to the two pad connections.

Thanks for 'chiming in.'

Bob

bobdvt

Received info from Kevin Strong and he uses 14.8 volts with his battery powered loco.

Thanks all who gave of their expertise and time.

Bob ;D

grsman

Quote from: bobdvt on August 22, 2013, 04:55:22 PM
Received info from Kevin Strong and he uses 14.8 volts with his battery powered loco.

Thanks all who gave of their expertise and time.

Bob ;D
Bob
Do you or Kevin plan on sharing the information with the rest of us?
Tom

smcgill

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on August 21, 2013, 02:03:16 PM
Bob,
I wish I could help, but I have never done that kind of install, and can't help.  I was hoping Kevin Strong or Steve Ames could help.
Bill
Thanks Bill but I think Stanley Ames is his name.
Must be a Senior minute!

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!