Bachmann Spectrum Vanderbilt Tender PN89901

Started by hotraindoctor, August 12, 2013, 03:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotraindoctor

What locomotive in the Bachmann Spectrum line can use this tender?  I tried a 2-10-0 but the wiring is reversed from its normal tender causing the locomotive and lights to not work correctly. Are there any others????

jonathan

HTD,

The Vandy Tender connections fit the Spectrum Heavy Mountain 4-8-2.  It may fit the Light Mountain as well, but I don't know.

Regards,

Jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23864.15.html

rogertra

Best solution when swapping tenders is always keep circuit board with the engine it came with even if it means a minor kitbash to the new tender to accept different plugs.  i.e., make a larger or new opening under the shoveling plate on the tender.

richg

Quote from: hotraindoctor on August 12, 2013, 03:48:08 PM
What locomotive in the Bachmann Spectrum line can use this tender?  I tried a 2-10-0 but the wiring is reversed from its normal tender causing the locomotive and lights to not work correctly. Are there any others????

If the tender will not have to go back with the original loco, just switch the wires on the PC board. Four wires.
I have done that.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on August 12, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

If the tender will not have to go back with the original loco, just switch the wires on the PC board. Four wires.
I have done that.

Rich

Excuse my ignorance but how do you know which wires go where when you switch them around?  I've never bothered to look as I always keep the circuit board with the locomotive and, if required, modify the tender to take the circuit board, wires and plugs.

As I don't want to take a loco apart to check, I've read that Bachmann have a rather cavalier attitude towards colour coding within production batches and with compliance to NMRA colour code standards.  In other words, two locos manufactured several years apart can have completely unmatched colour coding and even if the red wire went say between plugs 1 and 1 on one model, the red wire may go between plugs 2 and 2 on another, etc..  Assuming of course that they still use the red wire on the other model.

hotraindoctor

Good news. Had to switch two wires (the motor connections) on the PCB and now the 2-10-0 runs correctly.
Haven't tried it with any other locomotives. ;D

richg

Quote from: rogertra on August 13, 2013, 12:23:32 AM

I have done that.

Rich

Excuse my ignorance but how do you know which wires go where when you switch them around?  I've never bothered to look as I always keep the circuit board with the locomotive and, if required, modify the tender to take the circuit board, wires and plugs.

As I don't want to take a loco apart to check, I've read that Bachmann have a rather cavalier attitude towards colour coding within production batches and with compliance to NMRA colour code standards.  In other words, two locos manufactured several years apart can have completely unmatched colour coding and even if the red wire went say between plugs 1 and 1 on one model, the red wire may go between plugs 2 and 2 on another, etc..  Assuming of course that they still use the red wire on the other model.

Very simple. Get you ohm meter out and trace the wires. Anyone who works at what I call the component level should do that. Wire colors are not important.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on August 13, 2013, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: rogertra on August 13, 2013, 12:23:32 AM

I have done that.

Rich

Very simple. Get you ohm meter out and trace the wires. Anyone who works at what I call the component level should do that. Wire colors are not important.

Rich

True Rich I was thinking maybe you had another trick up your sleeve.

BucketShop

New question, same model tender.
I removed the trucks and did not pay attention to the insulated wheel orientation.

I took the trucks off, thinking I needed to, to get to the DCC plug.  It is a screw and nut, and the nut falls off under the coal load which is bigger than the opening at the top.  Somehow I got it out.
The truck mounting screw is part of the electrical pick up and both wires go to different spots on the lightboard. 

I have a diagrams of 88912 and 89841.  They show the insulated wheel on the engineers side.  Is that the way it should be or is one truck reversed?

rich1998

The rear truck is opposite.
Below is the Hicken tender diagram.
If you want more pickup, add Kadee spring wipers to the insulated wheels. Minky here shows how to do that to Bachmann tenders, the older 4-4-0.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/89912.pdf

My Bachmann Spectrum were opposite for insulating wheels. Easy to short if one could fully swivel.

The PC boards are marked also for each connection, well mine were which helped with wiring.

Rich

BucketShop

Thanks Rich.
Mine are only marked Con1 and Con2

Trainman203

How about a picture of this tender?  Bachmann made several.