News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann EZ Track turnouts (switches)

Started by Terpfan13, August 13, 2013, 02:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terpfan13

I am currently setting up my HO model trains using Bachmann EZ track.  I am using an older non-modular transformer to operate the system.  My question is the following -

When I connect my turnouts, do I connect the power to the AC or the DC power on the transformer?  Bachmann didn't provide this information in the apcket with the turnout.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Jerrys HO

Any AC source is fine. I use an old power pack for some and a wall-wart for some. I kind of split them up because I have 17 turnouts so far and ( it may be just me) but it seemed like I was loosing power to all of them hooked to one source. ??? Even though you are only using the power one at a time for each turnout unless your an octopus and can throw them all at the same time it really should not have made a difference. Guess I just had to make an excuse for using up some of the wall-warts laying around. ;D

Jerry

Terpfan13

Jerrys HO

Terp

Glad to help.
I see your new to this forum and I would like to welcome you to the board.  There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, don't hesitate to ask for anything or help out someone else when you can.

Jerry

jward

in addition to the ac terminals, they should work on constant 12v dc as well, if your power supply has these terminals (the better ones usually do.)     just don't use the variable dc terminals to power your switch motors, those are for the trains only.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman_Rick

I'm setting up a DCC layout for the "grandkids" (that's my story). My DCC command does not have an AC output. I do have an old Bachmann 6604 transformer. It is rated at 19V AC. Can I safely power my turnouts and other lighting.

Doneldon

Quote from: Trainman_Rick on August 15, 2013, 01:12:16 PM
I'm setting up a DCC layout for the "grandkids" (that's my story). My DCC command does not have an AC output. I do have an old Bachmann 6604 transformer. It is rated at 19V AC. Can I safely power my turnouts and other lighting.

Rick-

Yes. Or you can use the variable DC on your old power pack or an old wall wart
which puts out something in the vicinity of 14 volts and about an amp.
                                                                                                         -- D

Trainman_Rick

Terpfan13

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to all who provided info. 

I had HO trains years ago when I was a kid and now that we are empty nesters I am just getting back into it.  I have discovered DCC and that is quite an improvement.  I am sure I will have other questions to throw out.

Thanks again!

Bob_B

Quote from: Terpfan13 on August 16, 2013, 08:03:38 PM
I had HO trains years ago when I was a kid and now that we are empty nesters I am just getting back into it.  I have discovered DCC and that is quite an improvement.  I am sure I will have other questions to throw out.

Thanks again!

I too had a HO train as a boy. Tri-ang if I recall correctly, early '60's. A yellow and black striped diesel.
Like you I'm getting back into HO after fiddling with Z scale and fulfilling a dream of total remote control with DCC.