News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by foche, August 23, 2013, 11:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foche

Hi! I am new for model train.  I have just bought some train sets with 44596 "Your First Railroad Track Pack".
I need help on how to connect the four switches, such as what additional devices I need, whether the power comes from.
I have E-Z Command Control Center, but cannot figure out how to connect the wire from the Center to the Switches.

Thanks!

Balrog21

Welcome to the forum and the great hobby of model trains! You wil need a separate power source for your switches/turnouts. A regular DC power pack should be fine for this if your turnouts arent decoder equipped. You can find them cheap on eBay or any other online retailer. Hope this helps!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Try looking on the turnouts, transformer, and other items in question, for a part number. The sets ad does not specify which are included with your set.
Once you have listed this, more exacting answers will be possible.
(the set # was a great start)

Doneldon

foche-

Balrog is correct: You need a separate power source for your turnouts. EZ Track turnouts use track power but the regular remote turnouts need their own power supply because there are no accessory power points on the EZ Command controller.

You can use either AC or DC power. Possible sources are an old power pack or a surplus wall wart from an electronic item like a toothbrush or a cell phone. You should look for something in the range of 14 volts and an amp or so. Both power packs and wall warts have their inputs and outputs listed on the device.

Your OP didn't specify whether you purchased the steel (black roadbed) or nickel-silver (grey roadbed) expansion pack. I hope it was the grey track because the NS rails are prone to much less corrosion than the steel alloy ones. Also, the grey roadbed is passable but the black looks awful. And, there is a much wider selection of track (short sections, curve radii, etc.) with the grey roadbed track.

I strongly suggest that you stick with grey roadbed track in the future, even if you already have the black. It's much less troublesome. Also, try to broaden your curves beyond the 18-inchers which come with most sets and the first expansion pack. You'll find that your trains run better and look better. Last, may I also suggest that you buy numbered turnouts in the future rather than the "switches" which come with the first expansion pack. Again, your trains will run better and the mechanisms seem to be, to me, more robust.

Welcome to the hobby and this board. Please feel free to come back with questions or just to chat. And let us know how your layout is coming.
                                                                                                                           -- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

Wall warts search note- 1000ma = 1 amp. More amps available the better.