News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 with sound dismantle

Started by Teditor, August 16, 2013, 03:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teditor

I have a 2-6-0 with sound, the plug on the loco is no good, I wish to hard wire the loco and tender together, can anyone advise how to remove the boiler from the loco, I have looked but cannot see how, don't wish to do any damage.

Working on the loco and repairing it won't be a problem once apart, any help appreciated.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.

Teditor

Unfortunately, Google isn't friendly enough, I have searched for information, and I had already been to the file you linked me to, the link given only shows Spectrum Locos (unless I missed something, I stand to be corrected), the 2-6-0 with sound isn't a Spectrum model.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under

Doneldon

Ted-

Maybe you didn't look quite far enough. Here's the url for the Bmann standard line 2-6-0:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/56501.pdf

Good luck.

-- D

Teditor

I stand to be half corrected, the link is not the DCC version, but further investigation down the page found the one I'm after.

Where I faltered, was that HO was at the top then N then On3 etc, didn't think to go down further for MORE HO.

Just need to decipher the illustration to see how it comes apart.

Appreciate the help, it at least got me to what was needed.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under

Teditor

Sorry Rich, can't help you, not known to me.

Regards the loco, got it dismantled, the wire that had been squashed and fused with another one during manufacture had gone on through to the loco, plenty of frazzled wires and even started melting the plastic boiler, I have now hard wired the decoder in and all is well.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman

blwfish

OK, I've just spent an hour trying to get inside (and yes I've downloaded the diagram and read it, thoroughly), and I haven't figured it out. There must be a tab or tabs somewhere that need to be pried apart or something. I usually don't have trouble with steam locomotives, this is the first one that really has me stumped.

Teditor

Took some doing, but there is a screw under the forward dome, you need to carefully lever the top of the dome off to gain access (look very closely, you will see where the seam is).

Then two screws under the cab, either side of the plug and the boiler assembly will lift off.

Note; the front handrails (smokebox to front pilot) need to be removed either pull from the smokebox sides or remove completely, I secured mine back into the pilot holes with CA.

In mine, the wires had been pinched and were shorted out, the boiler had started to melt from the heat of the short, no external visible damage, but I had to clean it up to get the boiler back on.

I hardwired mine after this and replaced the tender drawbar pin with a 2-56 screw to permanently connect the loco and tender to take stress off the wiring between loco and tender.

One other mod done, the tender pickups were rebent to place two pickup tabs on top of the axles and one under the axles, bending them around the axles to eliminate the chance of them snagging on uncoupling magnets, crossings, turnout frogs etc.

Hope this is of assistance.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman

blwfish

THANKS VERY MUCH.  That screw under the dome is NOT on the diagram!!! I knew that there had to be another screw or fastener some place, but from inspecting the PDF file it was definitely not obvious.  Now I know why!

It is certainly true that the removable top of the dome is shown, but the screw isn't. Well, maybe it is - perhaps that is the one, sitting by itself under the motor, in a completely different quadrant of the page.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Doneldon on August 16, 2013, 06:05:50 AM
Ted-

Maybe you didn't look quite far enough. Here's the url for the Bmann standard line 2-6-0:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/56501.pdf

Good luck.

-- D

This is the wrong diagram
Pacific Northern

Teditor

I got caught out on this one too, you need to go further down to ALCO 2-6-0 DCC/Sound, it is listed in the standard range, just a bit tough to find.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under