News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Light mtn dcc installed. Running terribly!

Started by Xurben, August 17, 2013, 01:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xurben

Ok, so i got tge light mtn, I called bachmann and asked what chip is reccomended and got it.
Had the chip installed by a professional guitar tech (no train shops here will do benchwork and hes excellent.)
Now the loco ran perfect for 2 play sessions, a few hours each. But now it makes what sounds like a grinding sound and stops randomly (not the track)

Suggestions?
Its my first big steamer so Im kinda bummed..

skipgear

My first question would be....which version do you have?

Original Lt. Mountain - decoder is installed in the boiler, no connection between tender and loco other than drawbar. Probably came with Rapido coupler installed.

Revised Lt. Mountain - decoder is installed in the tender. There are 6 wires between the loco and tender. Comes with EZ mate couplers.

If it's the first version, look for detail piping dislodged around the front of the drivers. There are two pipes that run under the walkways that are a bear to get back in the correct place when you reassemble it.

If it is the second version, the mechanism should not have been dissasembled to install the decoder to it is a mechanism issue.

Also, are you running on ballasted track? If so, look for a piece of loose ballast in the gears.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Xurben

Thanks for the tips, but no avail.
I have the new o e with ez mate couplers.
The only thing that has been opened is the tender to install the chip.
I run ez track on an mdf board currently. No layout as yet.
Everything is clean. I also put my locos back the cases they come with after each play session.

Forgot to mention in the first post that the loco also hates turns.
Like the drivewheels dont flex as they should or something.
The "grindy" noise is not constant either. It comes and goes and the whole engine has a slight wobble as it runs. Hope that might give more clues?
How is bachmanns warranty, i know they will repair broken stuff for a fee but would this be something thats covered?

skipgear

As far as the stalling on curves, my bet is the drawbar is not put back together correctly. It's very common to have happen. Yes the wiring between the loco and tender should make up for that but for some reason it doesn't.

The wiper wires on the drawbar need to be inside the pickup posts on the truck. Also, make sure the posts are contacting all the pickup springs in the tender. They could a have been dislodged also.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Xurben

Its not stalling on turns, it stalls out at random. On clean track. straight, curve, switch, forward,reverse, just whenever it wants.. Then I turn it off and back on and it goes. Somethings wrong inside.

It just hates turns, it derails constantly. My tightest turns are 11.25 EZ track. Seems the guide wheels on the front wont stay down, I thought about adding some weight maybe? But the driver wheels are also throwing off on turns so I'm at a loss.

rustycoupler

I am having the same problem with mine also, the front set of driving wheels wont stay on the track in curves. I checked the gauge and its fine, adding weight wont help either, shelf queen now.