Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

JP's Wishlist for 2015

Started by jpstrainyard, August 20, 2013, 08:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

Here are some ideas for possible products that could be produced by WBB:

For those like me who are into Transit/Trolley/Rapid Transit/Light Rail trains, my ideas for future WBB products are as follows: (yes, I know WBB produced Peter Witt trolleys, but here are more ideas)

-PCC Railbus - this was basically a de-electrified PCC and fitted with a gas or diesel engine for running without overhead wires. The New Haven RR used one long ago
-double end 2 truck j.g. brill trolleys - open and enclosed versions
-Steeple-cab electric locos
-PCCs - both double and single end
-Breda/Kinki-Sharyo/Boeing-Vertol Light Rail Vehicles - As currently used by the Mass Bay Transit Authority (Boston MBTA)
-Subway cars - NYCTA (New York City) and MBTA (Boston MA)
-Metro North M 2/4/6/8, M 1/3/5/7/9 commuter cars
-Metro North Bombardier "push/pull" commuter cars
-Long Island M 2/4/6/8, M 1/3/5/7/9 commuter cars
-Long Island Bombardier "push/pull" commuter cars
-Boston MBTA Bombardier "push/pull" commuter cars
-single truck double end birney safety trolleys
-Perley-Thomas New Orleans trolleys - both the original green "Streetcar named Desire" ones and the later red "Riverfront" ones that were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina
-San Fransisco cable cars
-Ex Philadelphia SEPTA, now San Fransisco "F" Line PCCs as reconditioned/restored by Brookville Equipment Company of Pennsylvania, and painted to represent various cities that once ran PCCs
-Amtrak (or other road name) Metroliner EMU cars - these cars have similar body shape as Amfleet passenger cars, but include pantographs, control cabs at one or both ends, and traction motor equipped trucks
-Budd SPV 2000 EMU rapid transit cars featuring roadnames of railroads that ran them such as Amtrak and Connecticut's Metro North Railroad
-Budd B.U.R.T. Rapid Transit EMU Commuter Cars
-New Jersey Transit DMU Light Rail Rapid Transit Cars
-Philadelphia SEPTA Bullet rapid transit cars
-Philadelphia SEPTA LRV's - both sinlge and double end
-Chicago North Shore Line/Philadelphia Red Arrow Electroliners
-Chicago, North Shore, and Milwaukee high speed Interurban cars - including the famous 'Silverliners'
-US DOT "State of the Art" Cars (SoAc) - Only 2 were built as experimental replacements for older subway cars and were tested in city subways in Boston, New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia. The 2 cars were not accepted by any of the city subway systems in which they were tested, and ultimately became static exhibit cars at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport Maine. See this link: http://trolleymuseum.org/collection/browse.php?id=SOAC1RDC
-"Sprinter" DMU Light Rail rapid transit cars
-"Pay As You Enter" (P.A.Y.E.) Trolley Cars
- Type S-70 Light Rail Transit cars
- Toronto TTC CLRV's / ALRV's
- Montreal Tramways "Golden Chariot" Open topped, Tiered seat Observation trolley - Only 4 of these truly unique trolleys exist, and all 4 are preserved, restored, and operate at various museums: Seashore Trolley Museum (Kennebunkport Maine) Montreal Tramways #2, Warehouse Point Trolley Museum (East Windsor Connecticut) Montreal Tramways #4, and Expo Rail (Canada) Montreal Tramways #'s 1 & 3

Anyone reading this post is more than welcome to post replies, comments or other ideas specifically relating to Transit/Trolley/Rapid Transit/Light Rail/Interurban trains, here in the forums. The WBB guys would love to read your input as well. Please be aware that I myself do not work for WBB, nor am I affiliated with WBB in any way.

Sincerely: JP

Anyone wishing to reply to my post directly, may do so using the following E-Mail address: jpstrainyard@yahoo.com

Otherwise, just post your replies here in the forums.

Note 1: replies, comments, or other ideas should be related to transit, Transit/Trolley/Rapid Transit/Light Rail/Interurban trains only.

Note 2: replies, comments, or other ideas not related to the above in "Note 1" should be posted in a generic "Wish List for 2015"

GG1onFordsDTandI

Ive wanted a Westinghouse electric steeple cab for 40years. Seeing how a Jawn Henry is a bit large for my wallet and layout both ::), this would be a great second choice ;D. I thought it would be a no brainer with the introduction of the can motors saving so much space, but here I am, still waiting. :-\

r0gruth

You guys are wishing for a lot.
It's all right to wish.
If WBB did one of those wished for items you should be ecstatic.
Roger

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: r0gruth on August 20, 2013, 09:08:51 PM
You guys are wishing for a lot.
It's all right to wish.
If WBB did one of those wished for items you should be ecstatic.
Wishing for Jawn was asking a lot, but I think the shear number of homemade electric steeple cabs made, along with the simple design, suggest this wish is very do able. Also they were at least experimented with by many railroads in comparison to some of the engines being produced in obscure road names now. And I'm not talking about a high $ unit,  that I could find in brass already, nor a "bells and whistles" model. What I would like to see, would be more of a simple workhorse, much like the protos. Williams does simple better than anyone so why not a new ,simple, early electric loco "no one else" produces. Ive seen worse "head scratchers" ???.
I do have a way cool idea, unrealistic due to brand rights more than anything, ever see Fords 125 ton GE switchers with the 1930s "automobile look" grills?
  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Fords+125+ton+switcher&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=E1BEC3DA2F0DAFBA6D7EE5BCEA21509EB9149B0B&selectedIndex=6
Or in Color
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/26127.aspx
If that was the power, Id even buy a "NASCAR" theme set  ::), It would make more sense than an unrelated "baseball" steamer in a twisted reality sort of way. All this head scratchin'.... its a wonder I still have hair up there ;D.

SHABBONA_RR

As long as we're wishing, would I be out of line to ask if there is any possibility of some of Bachmann's 0n30 and or HO products (locomotives, etc.) being offered as S scale models. I've got some great ideas for an old time S scale layout. I know I could do them in 0n30, or even HO, but I've been in S scale for over forty years and counting.

Imagine the possibilities a JUPITOR 4-4-0 in S could open up

SHABBONA_RR

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: SHABBONA_RR on August 22, 2013, 07:55:39 PM
As long as we're wishing, would I be out of line to ask if there is any possibility of some of Bachmann's 0n30 and or HO products (locomotives, etc.) being offered as S scale models. I've got some great ideas for an old time S scale layout. I know I could do them in 0n30, or even HO, but I've been in S scale for over forty years and counting.
Imagine the possibilities a JUPITOR 4-4-0 in S could open up
SHABBONA_RR
An S "orphan" here?!! :o Spouting JUPITOR nonsense too?!? ???  Welcome :-* Your perseverance is admirable, such a great scale as far as general quality, and durability. If I wasn't brought up O by family, I always thought I would have landed in S. Talk about waiting and wishing, I think you've got a leg up on all of us there. Glad to see the modern revival by some of the other companies too. Hope you've been able to take advantage of the situation  ;) . One day I will at least mess around with S, its inevitable. It would be pretty cool if it had a Bachmann origin.

(originally the word "mess", was "toy". I changed it because I don't think I ever saw an S loco look "toyish"(cant say that for most other scales especially O). They don't deserve the word association, even used as a verb) 

SHABBONA_RR

I guess I could be considered an orphan, if that is what it takes. I have built many S scale models over the years, including a fleet of brass locomotive kits from Locomotive Workshop.

I recently purchased a Bachmann Jupitor 4-4-0 on Ebay. Right now, I'm waiting for a chance to rewire it. I also have a few other HO locomotives for comparison.

I just thought this 4-4-0, or the UP version, would be a good locomotive for someone like Bachmann to get their feet wet. Besides, I could have plans for hem and/or a 2-6-0

SHABBONA_RR

dtpowell

Wow, that's an ambitious list of mostly commuter related items. I feel luck Williams produced the Peter Witt cars. The one vehicle on your list that stands out to me is a modern Lightrail car. It's long overdue. I'd love to have several. My preference would be a High level loading type like in St. Louis or Pittsburgh. But a modern low floor car would be welcome too.

jpstrainyard

I'm actually glad to see that people are reading and replying to my post, but I would like to point out to those who posted a reply regarding (a) steam / diesel locos and (b) scales other than O, should have reserved their non- trolley/transit comments for "general wishlist" posts.

Interestingly, the latest trolley that Bachmann (not WBB) has produced, is a Peter Witt for the G Scale line. I understand that they are exactly the same as the Peter Witts for O scale, but the only difference is that the G Scale Witts do not have the electronic bell sound (or any sound at all)

-JP

DominicMazoch

Streetcars which look like the New Orleans St. Charles Line.  More cities had cars which looked like those.

phillyreading

How about more roadnames for the GP-30? Something like Reading & Northern, a 26 year old regional railroad in eastern PA.

Lee F.

Chessie1971

I like to see GP30 in the chessie system and C&O

Hamish K

Given the re-intriduction of the former super streets range as EZ Streets by WBB, a modest expansion in the streetcar, traction area would seem to be a good idea. The Peter Witt cars do go around the wider EZ street curves, another trolley for your roads appeals to me. The Birney  safety car, as made in HO, would seem a possible choice, the Peter Witt appeared in HO before it turned up in WBB. I would also like to see a steeple cab, add some freight to your trolley operations.

Just my thoughts

Hamish

jpstrainyard

Attn PhillyReading & Chessie1971 -

At the end of my Wishlist for 2014, I stated that I myself do not work for Bachmann / WBB, nor am I affiliated with Bachmann / WBB in any way
And also, comments or suggestions of new products (not related to trolley/transit) should go in a "generic wishlist"

HammishK - If you read through my wishlist, you will see that I in-fact did put a birney safety car in my list. I know that Bachmann did produce an HO birney, so it would be nice to see WBB produce O scale versions

-JP

phillyreading

Hey JP,

Speaking of stuff produced in H.O. by Bachmann, what about different cabooses?
I have seen at least 3 styles of cabooses in H.O. by Bachmann, and 1 or 2 other styles in G gauge by Bachmann, so why not some in O gauge?

Lee F.