"Bachmann's Commemorative HO & N UP Big Boy 4014"

Started by K487, August 20, 2013, 11:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K487

Bach-Man:

Here's a business thought that you folks are probably already discussing, but here goes anyway:

I've not read the thread(s) here about the UP's restoration of their 4014 Big Boy, but it occurred to me that if a UP-approved (sponsored?) manufacturer had superb models of this loco in HO and N gauges for release at the time of 4014's operational debut - well, the international sales could and probably would be "off the charts."

In the four? years' time it will take the UP to refurbish the 4014 the models (and with your successful experience with your EM-1s) could be thoroughly tested and re-tested until they all ran like Swiss watches, and then mass-produced.

I wonder what the world-wide sales volume would be?  And I bet many rail fans around the world would buy one just to have (i.e. not for running but to commemorate the event and display the loco.)

[I also just wondered about a 1:22.3 (large scale) model without a motor but with about 3' of track - both all plastic - for display purposes only.  This thought occurred to me because I have one of your 1:22.3 D&RGW K27s (with motor) on display in our living room - and believe it or not my wife actually LIKES it there!]

Watcha think?

K487

Doneldon

K487-

You have an interesting idea here. Several other companies have made Big Boys but not as many as have made Challengers. I can believe that Bachmann might be interested. They are unlikely to announce such a model very far in the future, I think, for competitive reasons. I'm not convinced that there would be a major foreign market because most modelers like what they know best or are most familiar with, and that would mean foreign equipment.

I must say that I doubt that Bachmann will offer a static Big Boy model in large scale, or even a powered one. The development costs would be huge and the market pretty limited. The model would be so large that it would be difficult to put anywhere. At 1:24, which is sort of the mid-range for the various large scale trains, a Big Boy and its tender would be about 5.5 feet long. That's longer than most mantels are wide and obviously too long for any display case except a custom (expensive) one. In 1:20.3, which corresponds to the majority of Bachmann large scale trains, the model would be more than 6.5 feet long and therefore even more difficult to display. I'm not saying that I don't think anyone would like to have such a display, just that almost no one would have a place for one. And the same thing would pretty much be true for a powered loco, too. A 4-8-8-4 would require huge diameter curves that wouldn't fit in most backyards, and it would be hard to carry to a large park or club layout because it would be a tight squeeze in most cars. There would also be a major problem with breaking details when handling such a bulky and heavy model.

I envy the way you have your general superintendent trained to allow trains in the living room (pun intended). I would never be able to annex right-of-way in the regular areas of our home. So ... good for you.

-- D

K487

Doneldon:

Thanks for your comments.  We will see how things turn out regarding HO and N scale working models, and I'll bet you're right about a static model.  OTH I'm thinking that in the railfan community at least in the Anglo sphere the first day that the 4014 turns a steam-powered driver will be a BIG DEAL.

I'd like to take credit for "training" my "general superintendent" but I can't.  I wish I could figure out how to market her attitude (I could probably make some $$$ and buy more trains.)  :)

K487

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: K487 on August 20, 2013, 05:16:31 PM

I'd like to take credit for "training" my "general superintendent" but I can't.  I wish I could figure out how to market her attitude (I could probably make some $$$ and buy more trains.)  :)

Does the superintendent have a sister? :D ...some guys have all the luck ;).

K487

r0bert

Quote from: K487 on August 20, 2013, 11:22:48 AM
Bach-Man:

Here's a business thought that you folks are probably already discussing, but here goes anyway:

I've not read the thread(s) here about the UP's restoration of their 4014 Big Boy, but it occurred to me that if a UP-approved (sponsored?) manufacturer had superb models of this loco in HO and N gauges for release at the time of 4014's operational debut - well, the international sales could and probably would be "off the charts."

In the four? years' time it will take the UP to refurbish the 4014 the models (and with your successful experience with your EM-1s) could be thoroughly tested and re-tested until they all ran like Swiss watches, and then mass-produced.

I wonder what the world-wide sales volume would be?  And I bet many rail fans around the world would buy one just to have (i.e. not for running but to commemorate the event and display the loco.)

[I also just wondered about a 1:22.3 (large scale) model without a motor but with about 3' of track - both all plastic - for display purposes only.  This thought occurred to me because I have one of your 1:22.3 D&RGW K27s (with motor) on display in our living room - and believe it or not my wife actually LIKES it there!]

Watcha think?

K487

With major manufacturers already producing high quality big boy models in N, HO, O, and G Scales, the chances that
Bachmann would enter the big boy market are slim to none.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.