News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay replacement gears/clips

Started by petervweimer, July 12, 2013, 05:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

I have installed the Bachmann replacement gears in 2 of my On30 Shays in the past and they are running quite well now. The problem with both was that the small clips sent as replacement parts with the gears did not really fit to press the gears to the geared wheels, they just protruded a bit too far out. Reason was obviously that the original clips (broke when taken out) were not only clipped but glued. Anybody out there having experience with uninstalling the original clips without breaking and/or installing new clips with tight fit? I have ordered one more replacement gear for my last unaltered Shay and would be happy if I could do it this time without cutting and glueing the clips always afraid the super glue might fix more than the clips forever....!! Thanks for any advice. Peter

petervweimer

Hi again from Germany, really nobody out there with the same Problem????? Still hopeful, Peter

2foot6

Hi Peter,I do have the same problem with my clips after buying replacement drive shafts.I tried gluing but did not work,is there a fix for the problem ? cheers Peter

petervweimer

Hi Peter, I found no definite fix until now. Fortunately the free replacement gears for the Shay Bachmann promised (and delivered to me today, thanks very much!!!) come as complete assembled trucks including the new stronger gears, so no need to installing the clips in this case. That leaves just one newly bought Shay for which I have the seperate replacement gears. Perhaps someone has a fix for us?! Regards, Peter

petervweimer

Follow -up to a seemingly never-ending story: Just got to know from service that the complete replacement trucks are not available at the moment. Anybody out there (preferably in Europe) who has 2 of these trucks left to give away? 

Biglars

I was having the same issue and orderred new clips. The wheel still spun freely  ??? then... the light bulb in my brain turned on. The gear on the wheel may not be hitting the gear on the drive line because the wheel is to far into the center of the axel. I gave the wheel a little push out towards the gear while holding the other wheel and...... It fixed that wheel. ;D
Give it a try what do you have to loose?
Good Luck.
Larry

Update, they shay has been running and running on the test track 45 minutes so far.

dtrrman

Quote from: 2foot6 on July 30, 2013, 07:43:40 AM
Hi Peter,I do have the same problem with my clips after buying replacement drive shafts.I tried gluing but did not work,is there a fix for the problem ? cheers Peter

I just disassembled the trucks and popped the clips out from behind with a micro screwdriver.  Did 5 of my shays this way and never broke a clip.  Takes a bit longer, but again no clip problems.  By doing this also you'll find some tuning can be done to make sure the gears mesh, the wheels turn freely, and also on occasion I had to file some flash off of the axle bearing faces on the sideframes that caused tight fit for the wheels.  I experienced some tightness on about half the trucks I removed.  All five now run like watches.

Biglars

Peter,

I thought you might be interested in this post:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40684

If you read far enough you will see I had the same issue with the replacement clips. I had to file a little off the bottom of the clips.

Larry