News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Howdy from Eureka Springs Arkansas !

Started by EurekaCarriage, August 27, 2013, 07:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EurekaCarriage

Someone gave my 7 year old a used (currently of unknown condition) Tweetsie Locomotive, tender, passenger car, box car, and log car.
No track, no controller.
(anyone have anything track/controllers sitting around, message me )

I found the 9 Volt battery compartments, the one under the passenger car is good... dead battery, but no corrosion.
The one in the tender however had a corroded battery in it.
Not the worst I have seen, but bad enough.
Before I go get the pliers and yank it out, is there any prep I should do first, and what type of cleaner should I use to remove the remaining corrosion in the battery compartment?

The wheels show normal wear and use, no rust, but dark "spots" on the wheels.

This is not my first set, I have an N scale set hidden away in the basement that I got as a teenager, and don't want to see ruined, so it sits in the box.
This is however the 7 year old's first set ( and I know it says recommended for 14 years and up, but hey, it was free so far.

I assume there is a way to test this LOCO to see if it powers up without the controller unit....???

Any suggestions there?

I have to admit, we have a small house, and this is the biggest train set I have ever been around.
New territory for me, and admittedly, a little intimidated by the potential $$$ investment I am gonna be soon shelling out for this bad boy.

I run a full time business and don't see myself having time or money to build an elaborate outdoor garden railway.
Oh sure, I'd LIKE to... I drool at the "backyard railway " magazines and youtube videos and such... But those people have more time and money than I have.

We also do not have a big empty room to turn into an indoor "play room" for the train set.

This will be likely a once a month set up in the kitchen (I hear my wife moaning already) for a day or two and then put away for a few weeks.
(at least that's the plan... I know some of you are laughing right now, "sure, just once a month, RIGHT!")

Who knows, in a year or so, it may end up collecting dust like his other toys.  (keep an eye on ebay LOL)

Nice to hear from any and all of you who might have helpful tips and suggestions and or parts that I can use !!!

Thanks  !

Tom

Joe Satnik

Hi, Tom.

Welcome. 

1999 era Tweetsie mixed (freight and passenger) sets came with a black rectangular power pack with a red flip-up handle and only 2 screw terminals.  The separate sale item number was 44209, but it is usually recognized (on auction sites) by the number molded into its case: Model No. 6609.

Later versions have a 2 piece power pack,  consisting of a wall-wart transformer labeled AC1601000, which plugs into a square controller head (with rounded corners), labeled 44213.  Both are currently boxed together as Bachmann item number 44213. 

Did you get the large display box with large styrofoam insert, or just the loco and cars?  You might want to match the power pack spot in the styrofoam to your power pack if you do have the insert.  Otherwise, the older version 6609 works a little better than the new one. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Newbie Alert, that's classic! :D Im not new to trains, but am to G too.
You know an outdoor layout does not have to be huge or elaborate to be fun.And would get him out of the house too.
The one I started(still haven't finished :-[ ,going brick now, but that's another story) It is 5x15 now, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,24115.0.html ,
and was 5x5 laying in the dirt around a single bush. When I was seven, I would have been plenty satisfied with the 5x5. Use a sandbox like pea gravel area for it? A loop of old loose bricks and/or planks of wood. An hour, maybe two max, is really all it takes for something that simple. I don't think a "perfect layout" would be as good for him anyway. Imperfections will give the boy something to fiddle with, helping build problem solving skills on his own.
Then again, if in the kitchen, the loco wont ever get left out in the weather, and would make for great rainy day activity.
A little extra track could get you both. ;)

EurekaCarriage

Quote from: Joe Satnik on August 28, 2013, 11:19:32 AM
Hi, Tom.

Welcome. 

1999 era Tweetsie mixed (freight and passenger) sets came with a black rectangular power pack with a red flip-up handle and only 2 screw terminals.  The separate sale item number was 44209, but it is usually recognized (on auction sites) by the number molded into its case: Model No. 6609.

Later versions have a 2 piece power pack,  consisting of a wall-wart transformer labeled AC1601000, which plugs into a square controller head (with rounded corners), labeled 44213.  Both are currently boxed together as Bachmann item number 44213. 

Did you get the large display box with large styrofoam insert, or just the loco and cars?  You might want to match the power pack spot in the styrofoam to your power pack if you do have the insert.  Otherwise, the older version 6609 works a little better than the new one. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Nothing that fancy Joe, no box, no power supply.
I just need one that works, We aren't going for accuracy, just function.

Thanks for  all the info though!
I will keep that in mind in case we go for re-selling it later on.

EurekaCarriage

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on August 28, 2013, 12:44:01 PM
Newbie Alert, that's classic! :D Im not new to trains, but am to G too.
You know an outdoor layout does not have to be huge or elaborate to be fun.And would get him out of the house too.
The one I started(still haven't finished :-[ ,going brick now, but that's another story) It is 5x15 now, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,24115.0.html ,
and was 5x5 laying in the dirt around a single bush. When I was seven, I would have been plenty satisfied with the 5x5. Use a sandbox like pea gravel area for it? A loop of old loose bricks and/or planks of wood. An hour, maybe two max, is really all it takes for something that simple. I don't think a "perfect layout" would be as good for him anyway. Imperfections will give the boy something to fiddle with, helping build problem solving skills on his own.
Then again, if in the kitchen, the loco wont ever get left out in the weather, and would make for great rainy day activity.
A little extra track could get you both. ;)

The sand box is a great idea, He has been bugging me about one of those too.

By the way folks; I put a new battery in the passenger car, IT LIT UP !
I pulled out the old nasty battery in the tender car, cleaned it all up, put in a new battery, and plugged it into the LOCO and it made the "swish" air brakes sound !!!
So all that stuff works, now I just need to find out if the traction motor works.

Chuck N

May I suggest that you post your original questions on the MyLargeScale.com website, in the beginners forum.  I think that there are some active participants there that live in Arkansas.   If they don't live near you they might be able to direct you to someone nearby who could offer hands on help.  They will have track and a power supply to test your engine.  Besure to ask for any local contact information.

Here is a link to their forum page <http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/Default.aspx>.  You will have to register to post  question.

Welcome to the wild world of G gauge!!!

Chuck

EurekaCarriage

GG1onFordsDTandI

Hey, the sandbox was more of a visual description. Not to sure the loco would like the sand getting into gears, bushings, rods, etc. Around one, maybe half foot, to 2 feet outside, would likely be safer for the mechanicals.
A large DC wall wart or battery should get its wheels spinning. Enough amps and it should pull too. Voltage? I would guess 6-9vdc would keep speed within reason, maybe even 12v. I used one 9v wart last summer at a garage sale to power some O gauge stuff for the "crowds", no speed control. My last HO set with sound and all, I tested and ran with a car battery. I had to, the sounds didn't like the old ho power paks, power was too "dirty"(electrical noise. An inline fuse would be prudent for safety of the wires, track and loco, especially with a battery.(many wall warts have an internal fuse, it is the real cause of most failures). I think those old O gauge locos draw more amps than modern G locos will. Check wires/wart for over heating often at first. Neither makeshift power was adjustable, but Ive seen others use house hold light dimmers, and other rheostats, pots, in making up cobbled controls. I don't think this actually applies to you, but note, I have a cheaper radio controlled engine, it came with no controller. I found an old radio control for a car, the frequency matched and lo and behold it worked everything fine.

smcgill

Welcome!!
You could install a track on the wall/ceiling in his room.He can use it ,out of the way,all good !
I second going on
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/Default.aspx
and asking for pics of some people's ceiling empire! You would need a loop of track and a small transformer.Some members might have some laying around that will let go .
Tell us how you make out!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: EurekaCarriage on August 27, 2013, 07:23:58 PM

No track, no controller.

The wheels show normal wear and use, no rust, but dark "spots" on the wheels.

I assume there is a way to test this LOCO to see if it powers up without the controller unit....???

Any suggestions there?

A six to twelve volt battery power applied to the wheels should make the wheels spin provided its not already battery powered, in which case a radio remote might be necessary.