Help with DCC EZ Command Controller

Started by Melr928, September 01, 2013, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melr928

I'm fairly new to the hobby and after playing with analog Thomas the Train locos with my young son, we have moved on to DCC. I purchased an EZ Command DCC Controller a few months ago and all was working fine. We are using the Bachmann -Your First Railroad Track Pack. Then a few weeks ago we noticed that both the loco (Bachmann ATSF 2121) and Diesel ( Bachmann B&O Chessie System 3139) only run at one speed (full speed). In addition, I have noticed that when I do not insert the power cord from the wall unit all the way into the controller, it sometimes works as intended.

Can someone please direct me to what we are doing wrong or is it a fault of the controller?

Thank you for you help!!!

Doneldon

Mel-

It sounds to me as though your locomotives (both are locos, by the way, one a steamer and the other a diesel) are operating like DC locomotives on your DCC system. DCC puts about 16 volts on the track all of the time; the DCC decoder in each loco is supposed to intercept the track power and then allow only the "amount" of electricity to the motor which would make it go the speed the engineer selected. I would be inclined to say that your decoders are defective except that you state the locos run normally if the power input is only loose in the controller. That makes me think the problem is in the controller.

I suggest that you contact Bachmann service at 800-356-3910. They should be open on Tuesday.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby. It's a great one for dads and kids.
                                                                                                                                                      -- D