News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&M Rs3 comes with Extra Chip in bag?

Started by liamneuser, September 02, 2013, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liamneuser

I bought the B&M Alco Rs3, and it came with an extra chip in a small zip lock bag. The chip is small and has 6 pins on the bottom(middle 2 are empty). It looks very simple. Could someone tell me what it's for?

cwmeeks

If the loco is DCC, it replaces the DCC plug to convert it to just DC.

liamneuser

Oh. Alright. Thank's so much! I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that though, considering DCC can run on DC. I'm using mine as DC, but I plan to be getting a DCC Remote soon. I bought it for my transition, actually.

rogertra

1)  Read the instructions that came with the model.

2) If you are not running DCC, you unplug the DCC decoder and(carefully) replace it with the chip.  DO NOT lose the DCC decoder as you may (probably will) switch to DCC in the future.

Don't know what DCC is?  Google is your friend.  :)

liamneuser

It said nothing in the instructions about it. I'll be running DCC shortly, and DCC can run on DC, so I think I'll just run it as it is until My DCC Controller I ordered comes in.

rogertra

Quote from: liamneuser on September 02, 2013, 02:41:10 PM
It said nothing in the instructions about it. I'll be running DCC shortly, and DCC can run on DC, so I think I'll just run it as it is until My DCC Controller I ordered comes in.
\

Strange.  I'm sure all my Bachmann DCC ready and DCC equipped engines came with instructions.  I can't confirm that as I throw that stuff away.  :)

Ah well, best of luck and you will find DCC much better than straight DC, though it can be confusing at times.  Don't believe what you read in the magazines about DCC being "Only two wires to the track and it's dead easy" nonsense.  When you get into advanced DCC it can, at first, be a little confusing.

jward

to answer the question, why would anybody do that?

the reason for using the dummy plug to replace the decoder if you run dc, is that while the decoder can run on dcc unless that feature is disabled, it takes about half throttle just to get a decoder equipped locomotive to run. the electronics in the decoder takes about 5 volts just to "wake up." thus your speed control running a decoder equipped locomotive on dc is very poor. using the dummy plug restores full dc performance.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

All the diagrams I have got with my Bachmann steamers show the DC adapter. The diagram clearly showed the adapter and where to plug in.

Rich

GG1onFordsDTandI

I want chips with my train too ???! And a soda! :D How small is that bag of chips that you want to count them? ;D

Great, now Im hungry........ :o

richg

Quote from: liamneuser on September 02, 2013, 02:33:13 PM
I bought the B&M Alco Rs3, and it came with an extra chip in a small zip lock bag. The chip is small and has 6 pins on the bottom(middle 2 are empty). It looks very simple. Could someone tell me what it's for?

Look at that device very carefully. It is usually a six pin "plug"
Don't make assumptions with DCC. It can bite you sometimes.

I don't care what some say, there are no chips in DCC locos, only decoders.

People in the UK have been eating fish and "chips" for too many years. lol

Rich