News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Wheel Assembly

Started by Old Steamer, September 04, 2013, 08:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Steamer

I see listed in the parts that can be ordered for a 2-6-0 Mogul (Standard Line) there is a DCC wheel assembly.  Since I am getting into DCC and about to install a decoder in this very Bachmann loco, this made me pause.   Must I use this DCC wheel assembly?  Or does it help in performance?  I noticed the axles are partially plastic (or maybe that is a sleeve) on the non-DCC assembly.  So maybe the DCC assembly is meant for the newer versions of this 2-6-0 Mogul that are DCC ready or have it preinstalled? 

Thanks Everyone,

Old Steamer

rogertra

For around $100 you can purchase the new DCC sound equipped Alco 2-6-0. 

So that begs the question,  "Why on Earth would you want to purchase a DCC decoder for a poor quality, standard, 2-6-0 which is just the 0-6-0 switcher with leading truck screwed on? 

By the time you purchase the new wheels and the decoder, and for the time it takes you to strip and install the DCC decoder and install the new wheels, reassemble the loco would it not be time and money better spent when, for a few bucks more, you get a new, better quality loco, with sound and DCC?

jward

no you do not need dcc wheels. I do not even know what dcc wheels are. the standard wheels will work just fine.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Old Steamer

That's great.  I was hoping it wasn't required.  And I wouldn't have purchased it for performance reasons.  I only have $20 in the loco I picked up at a train show.  And I got the Digitrax decoder on sale for $35.  So this will be perfect for my boy.  He can be an "engineer" along with daddy, and not be relegated to a DC child layout.  He is going to love the sound!  Now I need to upgrade one of my locos and we will be chuffing around the layout together.

Thanks Again

rogertra

Quote from: Old Steamer on September 04, 2013, 10:53:09 PM
That's great.  I was hoping it wasn't required.  And I wouldn't have purchased it for performance reasons.  I only have $20 in the loco I picked up at a train show.  And I got the Digitrax decoder on sale for $35.  So this will be perfect for my boy.  He can be an "engineer" along with daddy, and not be relegated to a DC child layout.  He is going to love the sound!  Now I need to upgrade one of my locos and we will be chuffing around the layout together.

Thanks Again

At those prices, what you are doing makes sense.  :-)