HO 2-8-0 chuff rate still problem

Started by MarkInLA, September 11, 2013, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

I may have submitted this same question some time ago but am still in the blind on this:
Why is it seemingly impossible to get chuff rate in sync on this engine...Others have suggested this and that with 'loadable speed curve' setting bit 4 of CV 29 to 1 and then CV 25 to 16... 67-94 to theses, 10 to this, 209, 210, 66, 95, etc....But, no matter what I do it just does not syncronize the way my 2-6-0 does..It is next to perfect since day one, and is not even Spectrum..With Spectrum connie roll-off can be OK but not at speed ..Or, at speed OK, but not at roll off....

rogertra

How many chuffs per revolution of the wheels are you aiming for?  It should be four chuffs per revolution.

MarkInLA

rogertra, I know since 1957-ish it's 4 per rev, 2 per side...This is what it will not accomplish..(as mogul always has ).. if I didn't know this how else would I know it's not correct ?

rogertra

Quote from: MarkInLA on September 11, 2013, 10:20:02 PM
rogertra, I know since 1957-ish it's 4 per rev, 2 per side...This is what it will not accomplish..(as mogul always has ).. if I didn't know this how else would I know it's not correct ?

Sorry, don't know your level of expertise so I played safe.  There's a very wide range of railroad knowledge on this board, ranging from very little to quite extensive.

I just Googled "bachmann 2-8-0 chuff rate" and found several possible answers to your question this is one: -

"Run your engine at a typical speed.

Then adjust CV116 to get 4 chuffs per driver revolution at your
most typical running speed. Its not possible without a cam to get it
always perfect over the entire speed range, so you select the range
where it is best. The result is usually acceptable."

You may need to install a cam if the exact chuff rate is important to you.

If this doesn't help, Google is your friend.  :)