Floor Space for Royal Blue Starter set

Started by dryoda, September 12, 2013, 10:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dryoda

Hello All,

I am going to purchase a first train set for my five year old nephew. I think I have decided on the Royal Blue N-Scale starter set.  Does anyone know how much space the basic oval track takes up?

Thanks

Desertdweller

dryoda,

I don't think an N-scale train is a good idea for a five year old.  And an N scale train set up on the floor is a bad idea, too.

Try to get something much larger in size, and keep it off the floor on a table.

Les

dryoda

Les,

Thanks so much for your input.  He lives in a small apartment in Manhattan.  I was planning on mounting it on a board that we can then put on a table when he is using it.  So I still need to get a sense of space requirements. 

Bria

Hunt

Minimum space  34" x 24"

Normally N-scale is not suitable if intended to be "hands on" for a five year old.

An N-scale diesel locomotive has a better chance of surviving hands on handling a little longer than a steam locomotive.

dryoda

Great!  I'll look at the larger gauges per your recommendation.  Thanks

Doneldon

yoda-

An HO basic oval covers something like 38"x56". It can be mounted to a board or a piece of extruded foam insulation. If you use roadbed-attached track, like Bachmann's EZ Track, it's reasonable to put the layout away disassembled between uses. That's not a great long-term plan, but it works in the mid-term. Whatever you do, keep the trains off of the floor if at all possible. There is all kinds of dirt, metallic particles, lint and other fibers down there which will do nothing but cause trouble on the railroad.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

O-27 is really the next smallest track diameter in the more common scales, coming in at 27"dia., and my suggestion for a more "rough and tumble" kid, and a little more "carpet fiber/hair friendly action. The downfall being its less than prototypical(i.e. real looking) Tight curves more overhang, kick out, etc.(swing away from track). There is also larger, kid friendlier Bachmann Big Haulers G gauge to consider!  If the kid is meticulous, and careful by nature, he may be able to handle HO, it offers a huge variety of options, and being the most popular gauge, is often cheaper in price. The thinner profile when in storage would be another plus. On30 is "ho gauge" track but larger "bodies" i.e. larger scale (track gauge= space between the rails, scale=over all size, ratio)  

As a kid, My 0-27 was stored under my bed for a while laid on a 30x65(?, a guess) plywood base, painted green, with a few 1/8"-1/4" x 3/4"- hardwood "runners", and 4 rope handles. I usually just left it there to run it, but it could be pulled out by me, or even set on a table for me by adults. During the holidays, it doubled as a tree holder base. The tree holder was screwed to it for support. I think that one was given away in a move. But I got more track, and still have the trains, 40+ years later.