News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

UP 4-8-4 Overland

Started by lirrman, September 05, 2013, 06:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

The folks at Bachmann just sent me this locomotive to replace a locomotive that could not be repaired or replaced.  While I was disappointed that I could not get a matching replacement, this is a good running, nice looking locomotive.  It came with a Vanderbilt tender that is a little light.  I would like to add some weight to the tender.  Paper work shows how the trucks come off the body but not how the bottom of the tender shell comes off, if at all, to add weight.  Any help.  The tender looks really fragile.

rogertra

I don't have that particular tender but look for screw up near the front underside of the tender and locking tabs under the chassis at the rear.  You (usually) unscrew the screw at the front and carefully lift the front of the tender which releases the tabs at the rear.

If I'm wrong, someone with more knowledge of this tender will help.

Doneldon

Long Island-

Put most of your weight at the front of the tender for better tracking.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on September 05, 2013, 08:06:07 PM
Long Island-

Put most of your weight at the front of the tender for better tracking.                                                                                  -- D

Yes!  I do this as a matter of course for all my tenders, no matter the manufacturer.  None of them put enough weight at the front of the tender to counter act the upward thrust of the wiring harness.  None of them.

Hear that Mr. B?  :)

union pacific 844

i have  three of them the front and back  tender  covers  will pop off   the will pop out if you pray on the top  of the front cover will pop easier then the back the back will have the hand rail pop off to before the back cover can come off  theirs to metal weights inside and two pieces of form  inside  i had to add weight to mine to