News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Curved Bridge Too Far

Started by jonathan, September 05, 2013, 07:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

It is said if you can imagine it, there's probably a prototype for it.  After two years of searching, I found two examples of short-span, curved, wooden bridges that served as a go-by for a bridge project I've been wanting to complete.

As a temporary fix, I used a piece of 22" radius EZ track to cover the span, while I searched for something more realistic:

To make a more realistic bridge, I used two 22" radius pieces of track.  I disassembled one piece of track and slipped the ties onto the second piece.  The leftover rails were used as guardrails.  Hence, two pieces of track became one:

The guardrail points were made with some 15" radius rail and straight rail:

Wooden abutments:

I scratch built a trestle to support the middle of the bridge, using 3/32" and 1/16" basswood.  The strengthen the trestle, I drilled holes and inserted wire through the joints, leaving just a bit on the ends to represent bolts:

Here are some shots of the progress so far.  I still have to install the trestle and do some touch-up work:

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If you really get into building trestles (Warning! It can be addictive!) I highly recommend these guys for tools and jigs that make it easier to mass produce bents, etc.: http://www.blackbearcc.com/index.htm

My only connection with them is being a satisfied customer.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

JNXT 7707

Wow...I really like your technique of combining the 2 sections of track for the bridge. Awesomely simple, yet I don't think I would have ever come up with that idea. I am going to file this idea away for my next big layout, although I will be using flex-track instead of sectional on mine.
Great work with all of it!
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

Jerrys HO

Jonathan
If you do not submit your work to Model Railroader someone ought to nominate you.
AWESOME, I especially like the bolt look on the trestle.
I would bet you have every child in the neighborhood hanging out at your house. Heck if I knew where you lived I would be hanging out also.
I don't know if this comment would offend anyone, but who cares.... I now believe in reincarnation John Allen came back as Jonathan ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Love your work
Jerry 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Now thats a prototypical looking bridge, seldom do you see enough guard rails in bridge modeling, and you pulled it off with roadbed track. Bravo! 8)

Doneldon

Jonathan-

Another project, yet another great job. I am so impressed with your
skills. I don't know how to express it. You are truly talented.
                                                                                          -- D

jonathan

Thanks, guys.  As always, you are too kind.

Here are some gratuitous shots of the completed project... with a few highly modified Bachmann products.

Enjoy!   :)

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Jonathan.

Really nice modelling and photographs, well done.

rbryce1

Really nice work.  Would you mind if I posted some of your photos of this bridge on the AnyRail forum, or if you are a member there, would you post them?

jonathan

Thank you.  Yes, feel free to share the photos on the other forum.

I only belong to two forums (the other is a yahoo group). 

My photobucket album is just trains, mostly pix of all my tinkering.

Regards,

Jonathan

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: jonathan on September 07, 2013, 08:08:16 AM
I only belong to two forums (the other is a yahoo group). 

The inability for a non group user to access the yahoo groups for reading is a bit to "secret club-like" for my tastes.

Quote from: rbryce1 on September 07, 2013, 07:11:10 AM
AnyRail forum
I use Anyrail, a very fun program but I hadn't realized that there was a forum that included actual train layouts, I thought it was about the program itself. Good to know, Thank you rbryce1.

Jerrys HO

Yes thanks rbryce. I did not know there was an anyrail forum. Jonathan has many,many great photo's and projects to scroll through on his photo bucket page. I am always on it looking around to see what's next. Now if I quit looking at his pics I might get something done on my own layout.
Jerry

rbryce1

You are all welcome.  Yes, there is an AnyRail forum, it not only covers all gauges of model railroading, but covers all makes and manufacturer's of products.  Very little bickering there as well, except for some on color humor.

The person who wrote AnyRail monitors the forum and has a special section for requesting programming enhancements, of which he really does try and do.  Members also post suggestions and photos of their railroads and help others with problems they are having with their railroad.

http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php