Semi-Modern Diesel, I'd Love to see in On30!!! ;)

Started by pacbelt, September 06, 2013, 01:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacbelt

HERE'S something I'd LOVE to buy in On30!!!
It's a mainline Northern narrow-gauge ALCo diesel....
"Sound Value" would be GREAT in this one!! :o

pacbelt

LGB Trains did a G Scale version in the late 80's, that sold well!! ;)

pacbelt

8) While I'm at it.....
How about some SCALEO scale buildings - even as kits??? Structures appropriate for a Narrow Gauge Layout!!  ;D
What do you guys think???

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: pacbelt on September 06, 2013, 04:56:59 PM
8) While I'm at it.....
How about some SCALEO scale buildings - even as kits??? Structures appropriate for a Narrow Gauge Layout!!  ;D
What do you guys think???

There's quite a number of places already offering suitable structure kits. I'd be against offering structures ready made. This is meant to be railroad modelling after all and I don't call taking something out of a box actual modelling. Also, it's bad enough that so many ON30 layouts resemble each other because Bachmann dominate the supply of rtr engines and stock. If we start using ready made structures as well it'll be even worse.

Mister Lee

LGB's six-axle WP&Y diesel was shamelessly condensed. A lot of the long hood was trimmed so that an LGB 2056 could make it around LGB's tight curves. A scale-length model would prove quite a surprise to many modelers expecting it to navigate curves of 22 inches or less.

I admit that I'm waving a flag for a GM GA-8 like the ones used in Mexico and Central America. However, I'm not sure they could make it around a 22 inch curve either.

--Lee DeGolyer

Quote from: pacbelt on September 06, 2013, 01:44:38 AM
LGB Trains did a G Scale version in the late 80's, that sold well!! ;)

ksivils

Having been to Skagway and ridden the White Pass, as cool as I think the diesels on this narrow gauge are, these locomotives are HUGE.

The Alcos, the one depicted in the photograph, are essentially standard gauge locomotives on narrow gauge trucks. The GEs, the shovel nose diesels, are huge as well but a bit shorter.

Still, they would make very cool models, you just would have to use broad curves.

glennk28

I'd go for these--but would actually prefer the earlier "90" series--the "Shovel -Nose" GE's--but I would hope that the designers leave enough room around  the trucks  so that us On3'erscan easily re-gauge them-

Also--I would like to see the ET&WNC piggyback car (done some years ago in G Scale) done in On30. 

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

glennk28

Rich Yoder had / SP #1 in bra$$--it was available in On30 as well as On3lgj

Stevelewis

I beleive  that  there  may be  a small number  still avaialble,  I was  thinking  of  buying  one,  but  the fact  is they  are  expensive  and  we  have  to  pay  VAT  (value  added  Tax) which is  20% of the invoice  value  + a Royal Mail service charge  so that  increases  the  price  quite  a  bit.

I have  had   emails from The  supplier  offering 10% discount  buit  that  was  some  months  ago.

I was  a little  concerned  that   the SP-1  is  only  powered  on  1 bogie (truck),  there is a  review some where  stating  that it  hauled  3 box cars up a  gradient, to me  that  didnt  seem to  make it very powerful.

I believe though  that in its 6 years on the  Keeler  Branch  its  trains  were  quite  short  ones,

I have  built  a  few 0n30  NG diesels  from  Boulder  Models   parts   using  Bachmann   Sound Chassis,  they are  quite  easy   to  build  and run well, haulage up a  1 in 25 gradient  6 or 7   Bachmann freight  cars
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

pacbelt

I forgot about SP1!!! :o
That would make a GREAT On30 model!!
What do you say, Bach Man!!???? 8)

I'm one of MANY who represent 3-foot gauge with On30!!!

I don't recall there being too many Rivet Counters in "Owen Thirty"!!!  ;)
I STILL want that ALCo WP&Y Diesel - even if it needs a little "selective compression" to get it around ez-track.....
~ NOT as crammed as LGB's effort! (They made that to be able to get around the equivalent of a 15" radius curve, in O scale!!)
YOUVE ALREADY GOT the sound board, from your RS-3 or S-2, in HO scale!!

As far as buildings - INEXPENSIVE (but more realistic than "Plasticville") Kits, of structures NOT like everything else....

Mister Lee

A word of warning regarding SP no. 1. I bought the Yoder model and discovered that it needed more clearance than did most On30 equipment. I'd run it on some of the Texas Outlaw modules and it would find stock pens and loading platforms to whack as it went along.

Which is understandably upsetting.

I suspect that I'm going to have to learn to scratch-build/kit-bash a credible-looking diesel body and put it on an HO switcher or road-switcher body.

I am looking forward to seeing and buying the Bachmann Whitcomb when it comes out.

lvrr325

Doesn't the RGS have a small GE based on a 44-ton that's had the clearances cut down (low cab) for narrow gauge use?

I would think this would be the best option for Bachmann because they've already done GE 44 and 70 ton engines in HO and N, so to scale up to an O narrow gauge variant wouldn't be too hard. 

But as noted it's liable to be bigger and wider than you'd expect.   

glennk28

Not RGS, but SP #1 was a single-end 50-tonne  with a low cab.  r--Rich Yoder did it in bra$$--  I think that there wer3 a couple of similar units at Plaster City, later at Georgetown Loop--gj

RickyRail

If you go to the On30 Kitbashing or Conspiracy forums, look in my Spring Creek Models photo folder. I have run some castings for a On30 diesel body that is dased on a GE Export prototype but slightly modified. It will fit on either HO chassis, S scale chassis, or it will use the NWSL power trucks. I have sideframes that measure out to a 6 foot wheel base that will fit these. These are resin castings and have basic details and are easily modified for any kit bashing project. I plan to offer thses on an order filled basis. Priced VERY reasonable. Send me an email if interested. Katmedia@live.com