News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My 4-6-0 wont pull

Started by locobud, April 30, 2014, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locobud

My "Annie" 4-6-0 from the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina has developed severe arthritis, or something.  I have gotten into the insides of several (most of) my engines without major difficulty. results are always dependent on parts availability and other things.
I hope there is someone from Bachmann, or not, who can tell me what parts I should order. The engine is in fine shape except for the lack of power.   Has anyone replaced the main gears in an "Annie" who could advise me?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi LocoBud.

Not sure what your problem is with the insides of your Annie, but they are not all that hard to work on.  I t could be as simple as replacing the axle with the gear on it or the whole gearbox.

My suggestion would be to just go ahead and order a complete new chassis for $50 from Bachmann. Your Annie I believe is item number 81098  and below is the link to the chassis which is an exact replacement for your Annie and they are still in stock.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4084

By the time you take your Annie apart find out what you need  then try to find what is available in the way of parts you may find the cost of the smaller parts adds up pretty quick.  With the whole chassis it is just a matter of swapping the new with the old.   The nice thing about it is you would have a whole new mechanism as opposed to one which has some new parts and some old parts.

Here is a link to disassembly etc.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#assembly

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Best advice today!

Thanks for that Bill, I have two over here in yUK with the same problem, acquired from a fire-sale a few years ago.  Got 'em for nothing, can't be any cheaper than that.

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS