News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax replacement Metal trucks

Started by Chris9017, September 06, 2013, 01:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris9017

Since there are replacement trucks for the older shays to convert from the plastic to metal wheels, are there sets available for the Climax too?  Also why isn't the Climax in the Large Scale parts catalog?  In order to get ahold of the parts for the Climax, the Climax locomotive should be listed for available parts.  When I tried to call, I was told to order online, but the problem is, the Climax is not in the parts catalog.   I have a second generation which has the metal trucks, and I have a first generation that is in need of metal trucks.  Is it possible to get a set of metal trucks for the Climax like there is for the say, and if not, will there ever be a set of trucks sold seperately like that for the shay?   Thank you.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Chris9017 on September 06, 2013, 01:48:33 AM
  When I tried to call, I was told to order online

If true, I find this very disturbing :(. Although ordering online is fairly common, I don't, and wont, allow any portion of my finances to become an internet target. While Ive used computers since the late 70s-80s, when the college educated programing major of our family starts using "online banking", I'll consider it, but not until.   

InsideTrack

We're sorry you were misinformed by someone that you can only order parts online. You can certainly order parts by phone. Please call 800-356-3910 and ask for the parts department, not the customer service department. There are trucks available for the Large Scale Climax. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by your original phone call.

Bachmann Trains

InsideTrack

And to be clear, the new metal trucks will not fit the older Climaxes.

Chris9017

Thank you very much.  I will give them a call.  A friend of mine managed to replace his old plastic trucks on his first generation Climax with the new metal trucks, but he had to do some rewiring, but in the end he got it to work, so I'll figure something out.  I'll also order the new larger tender tank and coal load.  I know I have my work cut out for me, but I'll manage.

Thank you for your help. :)

Loco Bill Canelos

Chris,

If you can document what you do to make it work, and share your experience with the forum.  I am sure there are others who are very interested!

Good Luck!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

Chris9017

Will do.  I will ask my friend how he did it, and will try and video the process of replacing the old trucks with the new ones, and post them on youtube.   

The old plastic trucks are full of gear problems, even with the 2 piece drive shaft, they slip on the front universal worm gears, which results in the engine set to not work but the worm gear that drives it to strip.   The new metal trucks have solved the problem with the more simple design of using a ring and pinion gear set up, similar to that on the Heisler, and it's 100 times superior and more reliable.  To top it off the rest of the gears in the trucks are bronze which is even better.   

smcgill

DennisBT

Anyone have a price for a pair of new metal trucks?   ......before I call Bachmann and can't afford them,  ....
Dennis

smcgill

Quote from: DennisBT on October 03, 2013, 04:58:05 PM
Anyone have a price for a pair of new metal trucks?   Dennis
You could try TrainWorld, also some times you see adds in the Garden Railroading Mag. for them.
Good luck.

mickeykelley

was there ever an update / video on this?

mickeykelley