News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Diesel Specs.

Started by RGS Goose, September 10, 2013, 08:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGS Goose

Hi Yardmaster,
I am looking forward to the release of the new diesel shortly.
I haven't been able to find any details about the physical size of the model.
Would you please tell us the overall length and width, and the height above the rails.
Thanking you,
RGS Goose.

Bucksco

Don't have one handy to measure at the moment. When one becomes available I will post the info.

Bucksco

Okay got ahold of one briefly today. Here are the dimensions:
Length - 7.5"
Width - 2"
Height - 3.25"

RGS Goose

Hi Yardmaster,
Thank you very much for coming up with those figures so quickly.
I will do my homework on them now, and look forward to seeing one here.
RGS Goose.

Stevelewis

Also  Thanks for the dimensions  from  this  side  of  the  pond,

We  await  them  also!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

kendoitall

Is there a prototype for the new 50-ton diesel? I model circa 1930's but most of the double-hood Whitcombs were around WW2 vintage.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

lvrr325

Closest thing I see to a prototype might be the Oahu Railways has a couple of 3-foot gauge center cab Whitcombs.  But none of the ones I looked at quite matched up to the pictures online, the cab is not quite right for any of them, and I don't think any had the same shape counterweights either.

It's possible the proportions look off because most of the ones I found pictures of were standard gauge, even the Hawaiian ones were the same width and visibly wider than the cars they pulled.

That said, they were building these as early as 1940, so if you bump your era up a little bit you can probably justify them.   

Stevelewis

I am  not aware  if  the pre production  pictures if the  new  diesel have been published  anywhere,  but one of  our retailers  here in the  UK  has pics of  all 4 showing  their colour  schemes,

Take a look at www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com    go to the 0n30 section on the left of the home page  then  go to the 3rd  page of the STEAM loco section!!  (They o have used  the  incorrect  section)  click the  thumbnails to enlarge .

I guess that  the  Black one may prove to be the  best seller??

darryl1936

Thanks for posting info on the new diesels.   Only one that looks good to me, the yellow version and that is just barely acceptable. I would most likely buy one and modify it somewhat to look better in my eyes anyway...  Cheers, T O F

lvrr325

The cream and orange one is a real paint scheme, used by the Salzberg group on their shortlines - Wellsville, Addison & Galeton, Des Moines & Central Iowa, Lousiana & North West, Southern New York, and many others.   No narrow gauge that I'm aware of, but it's not that much of a stretch.   

Be nice if there was an undecorated, though, I got the little gas-mechanical in undec and painted it, if this came undec I could paint it to match.

Stevelewis

Quote from: lvrr325 on November 04, 2013, 03:20:53 AM
The cream and orange one is a real paint scheme, used by the Salzberg group on their shortlines - Wellsville, Addison & Galeton, Des Moines & Central Iowa, Lousiana & North West, Southern New York, and many others.   No narrow gauge that I'm aware of, but it's not that much of a stretch.   

Be nice if there was an undecorated, though, I got the little gas-mechanical in undec and painted it, if this came undec I could paint it to match.
--------------------------------------------
These  should  not  present  any  problem  to  repaint,  I have  repainted  quite  a lot  of  brightly  painted  and unacceptable  liveried  locos in G  & 0n30  even a few  H0 ones as well.

Removal of lettering is  usually  quite  easy, then  a couple of  coats of  grey primer and  then  any colour you want to  use ( in my case  its  usually  Matt Black )

lvrr325

I think the only one with any lettering on it is the one that comes black.

piglet

I saw this loco at the national narrow gauge convention in Pasadena CA. It is a nice locomotive and is quite heavy. It's going to make a lot of people happy, and with it's weight pull a long string of cars.

Stevelewis

Quote from: piglet on November 04, 2013, 10:53:45 PM
I saw this loco at the national narrow gauge convention in Pasadena CA. It is a nice locomotive and is quite heavy. It's going to make a lot of people happy, and with it's weight pull a long string of cars.

Thats  good  information  it  can't  be  far  away  then!  Or  can  it??!!