News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to DCC diesel

Started by 8stargazer, September 12, 2013, 07:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8stargazer

Hello everyone!

I'm just getting into the DCC world with HO scale.  I like my ancient (but small) Lionel 027 layout, but just like me, it is slowing with age and showing wear and tear.

Anyway on my first post I got some wonderful input/advice comparing EZ Command vs Dynamis.  In the end I'm going with the Dynamis set from 'thefavoritespot'  From emailing with him, he recommended the Dynamis as well.  My question is this:  Is it possible (or worthwhile) to install sound on a DCC diesel engine.  The Dynamis set comes with a Baldwin 2-8-0 but I'm going to want to add a Santa Fe blue/yellow diesel in the near future.  I'm watching a Bachmann DCC equipped GP40 on his site on eBay and was curious if it's possible to add sound later on

Thanks ahead of time

jward

it is possible to add sound but not easy. the gp40 will require a complete disassembly of the4 locomotive and modifications to the chassis in order to provide space for a speaker. it would probably be cheaper, and certainly easier, to buy one of the sound value locomotives. if you are going to buy a diesel with the intention of adding sound later, i'd recommend the gp7 or gp9. they both have a space milled into the chassis for mounting a speaker, making the addition of sound relatively easy. I believe the gp7  will be available with sound soon.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

star-

Yes, it's possible to add sound after purchase but I urge you to purchase your loco with sound installed. That will save you time, effort, hassle and perhaps needing to trouble shoot.

Many DCC installs are pretty much drop in but sound can be more complicated. For one thing, you have more than the decoder; you also have a speaker and its enclosure. (Like stereo speakers, you need an enclosure to get satisfactory sound.) It can be tough to find a place for a speaker in some diesels unless the fuel tanks are hollow. If they aren't, you'll have to find another place. Even if the fuel tanks are available, you may have to drill holes to let the sound out.

Another consideration is whether to get a sound only decoder or one which integrates sound and control. The latter tend to lead to greater satisfaction. But if you are replacing the installed control decoder with an integrated one, you are throwing away the money you spent on the control decoder. Yes, you can put it in another loco, but that will be more work and it still won't have sound.

This is why I urge you to buy your loco with the sound and control decoder already installed. In the alternative, buy a DC locomotive and install a single sound and control decoder in it. Be aware, however, that you might find that to be a complicated process. Many locomotives are not DCC-Ready or even DCC-Friendly.
                                                                                                                                                              -- D

Bucksco

The most economical way to go with DCC/sound would be the "Sound Value" series of Bachmann locomotives.

8stargazer

I appreciate the advice and input from all of you.  I was thinking that it might be a bit of a task to install sound. 

richg

When you want to really get into sound installs, look at the loco diagrams. Many are right in the Bachmann site. HO Seeker has many diagrams for different brands but requires some searching.
All decoder companies and on line sellers have pictures of the different style decoders with spec sizes. different sises and shapes of speakers.
Be careful of drop in suggestions. Drop in might depend of brand of decoder/speaker.
One important issue with DCC, don't make assumptions. Many are not aware that their PC is a powerful tool and most info can be found on the 'Net. Those that have to be led by the hand usually have the most issues.

The Sound Value is going to be the best for many people. Bachmann has come a long way in that respect.

A few rivet counters don't care for some of the lack of certain feature.

Rich

timhar47

Quote from: 8stargazer on September 12, 2013, 07:57:33 PM

The Dynamis set comes with a Baldwin 2-8-0

Hello - I am curious on this - are you sure its a Dynamis? I thought that the only Bachmann DCC system that comes with a loco is the DCC 'E-Z Command' unit.

The dynamis, I think is in the $200+ range, whereby the E-Z Command system can be had anywhere from $60 to $119 alone, and from $99 to $159 with a DCC loco (usually a GP40, but I have seen some with a 2-8-0, or an 0-6-0)

The 0-6-0 is very basic, has no tender pickup, and the tender is not to scale (too short). Otherwise the EZ Command system is a very nice entry level DCC unit.

I just bought mine for $99 at an LHS, didnt like the 0-6-0 that came with it, sold it for $42, which means I only paid $57 for the DCC system :)

Have fun

Jerrys HO

Tim
I would be led to believe he is referring to the set I am posting. Which does come with sound  if the OP does not realize and comes with the Dynamis.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_269_271&products_id=3781

Jerry

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 23, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
Tim
I would be led to believe he is referring to the set I am posting. Which does come with sound  if the OP does not realize and comes with the Dynamis.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_269_271&products_id=3781

Jerry

Favorite Spot. Half the price of the link. Good deal for starting out.

Rich

timhar47

Okay thanks - I had never seen that one before. I was assuming the simpler loco & dcc in a box thing. Thats a nice set.

8stargazer

I did buy the Dymamis set with the C&O 2880 steam locomotive.  It is a really nice set and I love the digital/wireless control.  The realism of the sound is pretty amazing.  My 28 month old grandson went nuts over it.  I saw earlier post regarding 'thefavoritespot'.  His store is both on ebay and Amazon.  Great prices and very helpful with advise/purchases. 

I bought the blue/yellow Santa Fe DCC diesel from him as well.  Does anyone here know if Bachmann has the blue/yellow Santa Fe diesel with sound onboard?

utdave

heres my solution for sounding my locos thats hard to add sound to