dead spot in EZ track turnout when operated remotely

Started by drm227, August 27, 2013, 06:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drm227

I recently purchased a Bachmann "My First Railroad" EZ track pack.  Everything is working, but there is an issue when operating the turnouts remotely with the slide/press electrical switches. 

When I press the switch, the black slider on the turnout (which can used to operate the switch manually) moves to the other end.  But frequently it bounces back partway.  When this happens, there is a dead spot in the turnout.  It's not just my engine; I checked with a multimeter.  It shows no voltage in the short section of fixed track between the plastic frog and the moveable section of track (points).  If I then move the slider to the end by hand, there is voltage there.

Are these turnouts defective?  Is there any way to get them to work reliably?

jward

steel-black roadbed, or nickel silver-grey roadbed?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on August 27, 2013, 08:32:00 PM
steel-black roadbed, or nickel silver-grey roadbed?

Jeff-

I think the My First Railroad track pack is only made in NS.

-- D

Bob_B

Move the turnout manually in each direction and check if there is spring tension on the track to hold it in place.

jward

then the solution to the contact problem is easy.

solder jumper wires between the adjacent stock and closure rails just past the point heels.

I am not sure how you'd solve the bounce back problem. evidently there is no latching system or dampener inside the Bachmann switch motor to prevent the bounce.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

I am told that the bounce back problem is caused by a weak wire in the turnout mechanism and that some have opened but the bottom and replaced the wire or put a coffee stirer around it to strenghten it.  I have not tried this myself.

Are we sure the problem is not the points being picked by the wheels?  I have found that gently filing the outside edges of the points a bit splves this.

drm227

The track is nickel silver with a grey roadbed.

There is spring tension holding the moveable "switch-point" rails in place, but no tension on the slider.

I'm not exactly sure what "solder jumper wires between the adjacent stock and closure rails just past the point heels. " means.  It seems like attaching a jumper to the closure rails might interfere with their movement.  Also, I lack soldering equipment and skill.

It doesn't seem like the problem is the points being picked by the wheels, since it happens when the train is moving in the opposite direction, with the switch in the "straight" position.

I found this posting which claims that these turnouts have a different, inferior, switching mechanism that BAchmann's other turnouts: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10690.msg87931.html#msg87931

I bought the EZ track because it was supposed to be easy to use.  It's beginning to look like that was a mistake, and I should return it.

Jerrys HO

drm

I would give Bachmann service a call and have them replace it. Sounds like you have one that's bad. Somehow it lost it's connection.

Jerry

Doneldon

drm-

I think it's safe to say that the numbered turnouts are more reliable than the remote "switches;" it certainly seems that more issues show up on this board for the switches than for the numbered turnouts. I can't say whether that's significant because I don't know the numbers of respective sales. My best guess is that more turnouts are sold than switches, which would make my casual observation credible but I don't know that to be the case.

I believe that the switches are intended more as toys and the turnouts for more serious modelers so we might expect more careful and robust construction for the turnouts but I don't know that my belief about the items is accurate. I've never seen any engineering drawings or production parameters for either type.

In any event, keep in mind that Bachmann sells thousands of switches and turnouts every year; it's inevitable that some won't perform as planned. The overall failure rate can be very low but the shear numbers sold still means that some will be defective. Your frustration in having a problem switch, regardless of how rare it may be, is understandable. But I don't know that getting one of the wayward switches means you should change track all together. At a minimum, I urge you to at least give Bachmann a chance to make the situation right. They are pretty good about backing up their motive power and I would expect a similar response to your switch issue.
                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

drm227

I called the Bachmann service department, as Doneldon suggested.  They asked me to e-mail a copy of my receipt and a description of the problem.  I did, including photos of the slider position and the voltage reading on my multimeter.  They me the next day to say that they would be shipping replacement to me.  Great service from Laura at Bachmann.

I'll post a follow up when they arrive.

drm227

After two weeks, I called Bachmann service again.  They never did ship replacements, as I had been told they would.  Now they say that they will send replacements for two of the four turnouts, along with instructions for repairing the ones I have.

Stay tuned for further updates.