News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender screws

Started by Ed440, September 13, 2013, 01:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed440

I'm looking for the HO Spectrum 4-4-0 tender shell mounting screw ( #10489 ) size . They are not available from Bachmann at this time so I'm looking to get them from a different source but need the size/thread count . Any ideas ? Thanks

rogertra

Just get a 2-56 screw, or any screw about the right size and use that.

Be creative to solve a simple problem.

richg

The screws are Metric. Never did figure out the Metric size. Just get a flathead screw about the size of 2-56 or or maybe 1-72. many screws on locos and some cars are usually flathead.
I keep a variety of screws 2-56 and smaller which are close enough to many Metric screws used in model train products today.
I keep the necessary taps also.

Rich

WoundedBear

I would spend 20 bucks and buy an assortment. This isn't going to be the last time you will need a screw or two.

http://www.micromark.com/micro-screw-assortment-10-sizes-100-each,8545.html

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on September 13, 2013, 04:40:20 PM
I would spend 20 bucks and buy an assortment. This isn't going to be the last time you will need a screw or two.

http://www.micromark.com/micro-screw-assortment-10-sizes-100-each,8545.html

Sid

Yes, excellent idea Sid.  Something I have had to hand since I was a teenager, a good supply of small screws in a tray in my hobby file box marked "Small Screws".  Go figure.  :)

It's amazing how many model screws just vanish into thin air.  No need to find the exact fit, one "close enough" will always do the job.

Ed440

Thanks to all for all the great advice .

GG1onFordsDTandI

Ive raided the supply of my local eyeglass shop for tiny nuts, bolts, and screws.

richg

All the trains I have worked on use flat head Phillips screws. I have a couple jewelers screwdriver sets that will have a Phillips head, cross point, screwdrivers.

Rich

Len

Micro-Fasterners http://www.microfasteners.com/fastener-assortments.html has several small screw assortments available as well. They also offer bags of 50 or 100 screws, nuts, etc., in a variety of inch and metric sizes if you know what size you need.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on September 13, 2013, 05:45:56 PM
It's amazing how many model screws just vanish into thin air.

Yes! They go to make a new home in all those single socks that disappear in the laundry.  ;D  ;)

ebtnut

Virtually all of the equipment manufactured overseas these days use metric screws.  The most common range between 1.2 mm and 2 mm. so getting a small assortment of each size is recommended.  Most any decent hobby shop (not just a train shop) should have some small packages of metric screws since the R/C planes and autos often use metric as well. 

If you go way back, some of the early PFM brass imports uses 0-80 crankpin screws, which was the common standard in the US back then (think 1960's - early '70's).  However most, if not all of the other screws used on the models were metric.  One think I really liked, and can't seem to find any more, are the 1 mm shouldered valve gear screws.  They beat the heck out of trying to use rivets.