News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unproduced engine

Started by bob kaplan, September 13, 2013, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Quote from: Desertdweller on September 15, 2013, 07:04:06 PM
That is a very funky engine that would be right at home on a backwoods short line.

I remember seeing one similar to it on the Cripple Creek and Victor (2' gauge), but that was a long time ago.

Les

The Cripple Creek loco is a Meyer type loco made by the British firm, Bagnall. Meyer locomotives have two swivelling truck, both with cylinders attached, mounted under the boiler. They differ from Mallets, which have only one swivelling truck, and Garratts which have the boiler in between the trucks. Meyers were made by a number of European and British makers. The Vulcan duplexes were broadly similay to Meyers, but presumably did not use the Meyer patents. Only about 7 Vulcan duplexes were made.

Hamish

glennk28

Bill--I have a box labeled for "GE 45ton"  locomotive--red-unlettered--#81899--I also have one in Santa Fe "Zebra stripes"--the 44-ton  is a 4-motor prototype, the 45-ton was a 2-motor loco having side rods to power the other 2 axles.  

I have seen the 44-tonners--made by either Aristo Craft or USA Trains in 1:29 scale.The  44-ton loco was the result of an agreement with the BLE&F over staffing--Under 89,000 lbs could be operated with only an engineer--90,000 or more had to have a fireman  (I may be a bit off on the weights--but they're in that range)

I suspect that the model was not too popular as Bachmann blew them out via Micro Mark--I didn't really need another one (A new locomotive is self-justifying) but I could not let them get away with selling them at $90--or about that--
Glenn Joesten

Loco Bill Canelos

Glenn, and all

My humble apology for my mistake :-[.  Glenn, of course you are right the Spectrum siderod version later produced is also 45 tons.  I was thinking of a different brand. :o  I bought two of them at the closeout price and converted one into a box cab oil electric.  Reference to my converted version:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23981.0.html

This is the list of the ones that were produced;

81896    MQ&M Co   None   2003   ~ Loco   GE 45 ton, Midwest Quarry & Mining Co.
81897   AT&SF   None   2003   ~ Loco   GE 45 ton, Santa Fe
81898   None   None   2003   ~ Loco   GE 45 ton, painted, unlettered red & yellow
81899   None   None   2003   ~ Loco   GE 45 ton, painted, unlettered  yellow and black

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

glennk28

Did you have an article on this one in Garden Railways??  I recall seeing a conversion like this--

Glenn