News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layouts and tracks

Started by bigjoe11a, January 21, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgun 30

Jward and I did help Joe with his lay out because we both had anyrail. It was Jeff's plan that Joe used. ( at least that's how I think it ended up)  However, I didn't give any help with landscaping.

jbrock27

I remember, you and a number of others, including myself, tried to help.  But I also recall how things "ended up".
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

if I understand the situation, you've put plaster cloth under where the track sits. it probably wrinkled when you laid it (I know it does when I use it) and the resultant bumps under the track are causing derailments.

if this is the case, probably your best bet is to mark the edges of the track, pull the track up then scrape away the plaster cloth where the tracks will sit. then carefully put the tracks back, using a small level to ensure that the tracks are level across the rails. you can use index card as a shim to level things up by raising the lower rail. also, try first to eliminate any areas where the track twists, as this is most likely where most of the derailments occur.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Morgun 30 on January 22, 2014, 09:19:09 PM
Jward and I did help Joe with his lay out because we both had anyrail. It was Jeff's plan that Joe used. ( at least that's how I think it ended up)  However, I didn't give any help with landscaping.

As soon as I can get my batteries changed up in my camera. I'll have to post some photo's it came all real good too. It's just I have this small problem, and I don't know what to do about it.

SO I'll try the other users idea and see what happens.

electrical whiz kid

To all:  Level track and good construction UNDER it is paramount for good reliable and realistic operation .  Like real-world construction, there is a sequence of events in layout construction, and any of you guys who either haven't ever done a layout, or are unfamiliar with construction technique in general-and NONE of us are all things to all people.  Design it, go over the plan, get other modellers' opinions, then if all is OK with you, start laying out your track-work, one small section at a time.  Your best friends at this stage, are going to be scales; zig-zag rulers are pretty good to have.  Levels-lasers, if you can get a good one.  Solid sub-work, even track in all three planes, electrical integrity (get a good multi-meter-you will have more uses for it then continuity).  Finally, when all of the "roughing-in" is done, try an engine or two on it; the most dependable rigs you have.  Just as in SCUBA diving, house construction, motor trips etc, plan the activity right down  to the nines so that there is no place where you are saying (well, maybe it will work...etc...).  As Big Joe is finding out, this can be a costly corner to paint yourself into.  Take your time!!  This is a hobby, not a race; it is meant to be an enjoyable pastime; not a source of aggravation or a money pit.
Rich C.

bigjoe11a

I been working on this for over a year now. and with the help from a lot of users on this form. I don't think I would have made it. Thanks to every one on this forum for your help and support.

Thanks for the kind words electrical whiz kid

Thanks
Joe M