News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel replacement

Started by Hackcell, January 23, 2014, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackcell

Hello,

I have a marklin big boy locomotive and I found some really nice Bachmann flatbed wagons that look nice with it. Once I started to use it on my c track layout, I noticed the flatbeds tend to derail in the curves. It seems a problem with the wheels.

By any chance, do you know where I can get some replacement wheels for bachmann wagons to have it running smoothly in marklin c layouts?

Thanks!
Danilo Jimenez

Union Pacific and Deutsche Bahn Cargo H0 models.
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.

Costa Rica, pura vida!!

CNE Runner

Hack - There are numerous manufacturers of wheelsets on the market. I have used Walthers P2K and Kadee over the years and probably a few others that I can't remember. Do a 'Google search' on "HO wheelsets" and you will find several [many] sources. Another option is to go to the Walthers catalog (or their website) to find what you need. Generally speaking HO freight cars use 33" wheelsets (although 36" is not unknown). Again, just about every Internet discounter sells wheelsets.

Please note that I assumed that your reference to "flatbeds" was actually to "flatcars"...and not flatbed trucks.

Have a great day. I'm sure others will add posts to your query.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

what radius are your curves? if they're too sharp, replacing the wheels won't help. it sounds like you are having a problem with the overhang  on that huge tender pulling anything coupled to it off the tracks when it swings out on the curves.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ALCO1000

Quote from: Hackcell on January 23, 2014, 12:01:39 PM
Hello,

I have a marklin big boy locomotive and I found some really nice Bachmann flatbed wagons that look nice with it. Once I started to use it on my c track layout, I noticed the flatbeds tend to derail in the curves. It seems a problem with the wheels.

By any chance, do you know where I can get some replacement wheels for bachmann wagons to have it running smoothly in marklin c layouts?

Thanks!
Make sure the wheels are in gauge and rolling free,tel tail sign that they are out derailing in curves because since they have no differential all will bind in a curve a little ,Seen many brand new out of the box out of gauge,IF THEY HAVE PLASTIC AXLES WITH PLASTIC WHEELS ALL IN ONE , time for new metal wheels, Very good ones out there to chose from
Jack

Hackcell

Hello everybody,

Adding some weight to the cars did solve the problem in some cases... For the others, I disassembled a marklin union pacific car and installed the trucks under the cars. It was so perfect, until I found out I can't find the marlin wheelsets online :-/
I have just ordered some kadee metallic wheel sets.

Hopefully, it will solve the issue!!

Danilo Jimenez

Costa Rica, pura vida!!

rogertra

Quote from: Hackcell on January 25, 2014, 09:58:41 PM
Hello everybody,

Adding some weight to the cars did solve the problem in some cases... For the others, I disassembled a marklin union pacific car and installed the trucks under the cars. It was so perfect, until I found out I can't find the marlin wheelsets online :-/
I have just ordered some kadee metallic wheel sets.

Hopefully, it will solve the issue!!

This is a passenger car so make sure you ordered 36" scale diameter passenger car wheels, not 33" diameter or smaller freight car wheels.

Cheers

Roger.

Hackcell

Hi Roger,

Yes, I ordered the 33" wheels. It is to fix flat freight cars :-)
Danilo Jimenez

Costa Rica, pura vida!!

jbrock27

I would add, that modern freight cars, the kind seen being pulled by today's 'techno toasters' have 36" wheels.
Keep Calm and Carry On