Replacement knuckle spring for EZ Mate Mark II coupler?

Started by jbrock27, September 26, 2013, 07:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Has anyone ever used a Kadee #622 knuckle spring as a replacement for the spring on an EZ Mate Mark II coupler?

I just opened a package of 2 last night to mount on a car, went to check the height against the gauge and one coupler was missing it's spring.  It was on there when I mounted it to the car and somehow, somewhere, disappeared between the work bench and the test track.  Very disappointed btw Mr. Bachmann that w/o any use, the spring would pop off :(.

Thanks for the help.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

As I recall, the Kadee knuckle spring will work on an EZ Mark II coupler.

I wouldn't be too hard on the Bachmann couplers.  Even the Kadees have the occasional knuckle spring that disappears into the ether.  When I have to replace one, I usually add a tiny spot of paint or glue, to the shank end, to keep them settled in place.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Thank you Jonathan.  I will give the Kadee spring a shot.

I can understand after getting some use out of the coupler that the spring disappears like they can and do on the Kadee couplers, but losing the spring 5 mins after being taken out of the package to the test track, who expects that :o?

BTW, thank you for the long ago suggestion about using Conducta Lube.  It worked great on 2 out of 3 locos I used it on! 

Thank you again, I appreciate the help.
Keep Calm and Carry On

blwfish

They're little mechanical things! It is not so hard to bump the spring in just the right (wrong) way - and that goes for all of the couplers, from any of the usual sources.

jbrock27

I completely understand that.  Stuff happens, I know. 

I like and use the EZ Mate Mark IIs all the time and have posted that many times amidst the discussions that take place on the subject which inevitably includes most recommending Kadees.  On all prior occasions I have sung the EZ Mates Mark II praises.  I don't wish for anyone to misunderstand me.  But on this occasion, not having touched or bumped anything, only taking the coupler out of the package and having a spring suddenly disappear, well, does not lead me to be singing.

And yes, it is a simple fix to replace the spring. I know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Turns out the fix was not so simple afterall.  There was something defective about the EZ Mate Mark II that caused the spring to disappear.  I say this bc no matter what, I could not get the coupler to open up-it was liked it was "locked" up in the closed position and would not move, even w/o the spring.  So in the trash it went, and since I already have a Kadee spring out, I will put the spring in one of my No. 5 Kadees that is missing a spring and use that instead.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

JNXT 7707

Yep...EZ Mates, Kadees, et al will turn up with a glitch as you have found. Usually one of the tiny "nubs" that hold the springs will be mal-formed or nonexistent. Kadee always puts extra springs in their coupler packages - I must have a million of them now.
To my experience all these different brand springs interchange.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

jbrock27

Thanks JNX.
On the upside, I picked up the trick suggested by Jonathan to put a little CA glue on the spring (shank side) once on there, to help keep in place longer.

I have never seen any coupler do like this one EZ Mate did.
Keep Calm and Carry On

JNXT 7707

Well, not knocking Bachmann...the EZMates are more on the "affordable" scale, so you get what you pay for. The CA tip is indeed a good one, but I have so many of these springs now I don't bother...plus I'm sure I would end up glommming up the entire coupler with CA  ::)
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

jbrock27

I have always stated here, that I like the EZ Mate Mark IIs and will continue to buy them.  They work well for me and the cost as you point out is less than Kadees.

It was easy to put the CA glue on a toothpick first, the Gel kind of glue, and using a magnifier, was able to dab just enough on the right spot.
Keep Calm and Carry On