Spectrum HO 0-6-0 Saddle tank

Started by tscdata, September 18, 2013, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tscdata

How can one install a 'sound bug' in the HO 0-6-0 Saddle tank loco with DCC on Board?
  Item #81812

Any guidence would be greatly appriciated.

John

richg

First of all, there is a HO forum here. Some new people never take time to look around.

You remove the on board decoder and install a Micro Tsunami but some frame grinding has to be done. I have a link somewhere. This has been done by a couple people that I am aware of.
I think a 3/4 inch round speaker was used. I will look for the link but a couple others here might also have it.

You might try some Google searches using spectrum 0-6-0t or bachmann 0-6-0t. I have tried and there are some links that people talk about this loco. One link to another forum and some info but the pictures went away some time ago.
You might be able to do this without any frame modification depending on the ability to measure the space and find the specs on sizes of decoders and speakers. Realize you might not have the best sound but best depends on the persons hearing ability.

Rich

richg

A few years ago I saw a posting in a Yahoo DCC Group on this conversion but I left the Group. I have some photos from the article but the speaker size is not mentioned. A couple messages in the Group has more details but I do not have the original messages. The user used an older SoundTraxx DSD-090 sound decoder. The Micro Tsunami is about the same size. A lokSound Micro might fit.

You will need mechanical and electrical/soldering experience. A 1k resistor if yours has an LED in the headlight.
If a light bulb, a 22 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor to protect the bulb from voltage surges.

Rich

rogertra

Like Rich I Googled "sound installation spectrum 0-6-0T" and found several hits and a video.

Give it a try.

richg

Here is what SoundTraxx recommends. Store the link in Favorites. You will need it.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

I seriously doubt a Sound Bug will fit. I strongly suggest you do research. Measure the inside of the loco and look at all the dimensions of the decoders and speakers.
Your PC is just as powerful as mine.

This will not be Plug and Play.

Rich