News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Log pond for saw mill

Started by glsummers, August 30, 2007, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

I am building a log pond for a saw mill. I was wandering if you glue the logs to the bottom before you pour the water or wait til the water begins to set up and then you put in your logs? Thanks for the help.

SteamGene

Wouldn't that depend on the depth of your pond and the brand of "water" you are going to use?   What do the instructions for the water say to do?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

glsummers

I am using magic water and it does not say much about a log pond.

SteamGene

What does it say about adding boats, people, debris, etc?  Boats and floating debris would be the same as a log?  A long pond has to be deep enough for the logs to float - that's why they are in a pond.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

My solution on a large scale layout was to paint the pond bottom muddy colours then pour on a thin layer of Envirotex.  Once it was set, I added the logs.  Not whole logs, just the top 1/4 or so as if the rest of the log was under water.  With the dirt off the logs and more dirt stirred up from the bottom of the pond, the water in a real pond is more like thin mud than clean water.  So you rarely see any part of the log that is not out of the water.  This is particularly true of smaller ponds, the sort we end up modelling because of space limitations.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

Jim;
That is a great post.  I will add only wone thing to it:  On adding natural details like logs, etc.  Do as you say, but before you put those logs down on a relatively glossy surface like water, clean them off, and hit them with a sealer, such as Testors dull coat laquer.  A spray can of their "Dullcote" is also a great option.   This way, the dust will not get on the water and give it away.  I can vouch for the fact that it takes the wind out of your sails to hear; "Grampa-you have dusty water in that pond!"

Ah, yes...Out of the mouthes of babes...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

glsummers

Thanks Jim and Rich, those are excellent suggestions. I sure do learn a great deal from you all. Thanks

paustinsmith

The surface of my log pond is made of  Masonite hardboard. I painted the surface with black paint except for the edges which I painted a lighter collar. I  made several master logs using carved dowels. I then cut the   master logs in half and cast them in paster.  I glued the flat surface  of the logs to the Masonite  prior  to pouring the Envirotex. After the Envirotex was poured and before it dried, I sprinkled a lot of wood debris in the Envirotex. The results I obtained were excellent in my opinion.

Peter Smith, Memphis