News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rod Haywards K-27

Started by Perry Ottoman, September 09, 2007, 05:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry Ottoman

As K-27s are of an interset right now you might like Rod's Is now finished, its 1.22.5. a bash from a 1.20.3 Bachmann consolidation.  Here is a link to his gallery.

http://www.smegworld.org.uk/spaf/k27/log/kgal.htm

Regards

r.cprmier

My God!  What a beautiful job!!  This engine is perfect-to the nines!
Thank you for sharing that site with us, and giving us that inspiration that sometimes nudges us on to bigger and better things.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

zubi

That's right, Rod is a true Master Builder. And his K has one big advantage - it is 1:22.5 - the scale of choice for me. It is a pity that the B-K27 is not,  but I may and up getting one anyway, it just looks too good, especially from underneath!! But for me to purchase one the condition is that it  proves not to fall apart as the Shay did.... Best wishes from Zubi - still hoping for a 1:22.5 K-27, Brawa, Piko, Kiss, anyone...?

Kevin Strong

If you do the math, the 1:20.3 K-27's chassis scales out within mere inches of a K-28/36/37 chassis in 1:22.5 (Drivers 1" larger, wheelbase 3" longer). So, you can buy the B'mann K-27 and kitbash your own fleet of 1:22.5 Ks.  :)

Later,

K

zubi

K, thanks for the suggestion. But I already have both K-28 and K-36 in 1:22.5. K-37 never really interested me much since it is really a standard gauge 'convert' more than a genuine narrow gauge design. But there is no decent K-27 in 1:22.5 on the market. Best, Zubi

Steve Stockham

And probably won't be! I don't mean to rain on your parade but 1:22.5 is essentially dead as a fine scale. I wouldn't wait for LGB to be resurected to produce one as it's  going to be a long time (if ever) that they will get to that design! Of course, even if they do decide to make one it would probably be a KISS or Aster or some other such design and probably at least four times the expense of the new Bachmann Fn3 K-27!
  You might want to think about the 1:22.5 models available right now and go to some place like Barry's Big Trains to get a reliable drivetrain! If it's that important and you have the $$$ then that would be the way I would go!

zubi

Steve, did I say anywhere that it has to be cheap?? The K-36 is not, neither was the K-28. Most of my 1:22.5 is brass and IS quite nicely scale, even if not finescale, but fine enough  to me. I do not quite get your point about BBT drive, what should I fit it into? Anyway, I am not interested in kitbashing. If I cannot get the K-27, there are still many other pretty fine 1:22.5 engines on my list - think RhB 3/4 Mogul pretty rare by now or the Harz Mallet! I just think that a run of 1:22.5 K-27 is a missed opportunity, even if this run is 1 engine for me;-)... Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi