E-Z Track standard switch (for XTrkCad)

Started by JWBDolphins, September 04, 2007, 10:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWBDolphins

I know somewhere on this board there was an explanation of what the E-Z Track standard switch was equivalent to - but I searched and could not find it.  I know the straight section is equivalent to a 9 inch straight piece, and the curve is equivalent to an 18" radius curve.

From what I can tell - it Looks like if you took a 9" straight piece, and 1 3/8" up from the end of that you placed an 18" 30 degree curve piece, you would have the equivalent.   But I remember reading someone who had a different explanation.

My reason for asking is because I'm trying to model the E-Z Track pieces in XTrkCad, and my results aren't really lining up with real life just yet!   :)

(Using HO gauge)

[EDIT-]
Actually, I think maybe I have it correct now.  A little tweaking and it now looks good.  So maybe a different question - does anyone have an E-Z Track parameters file for XTrkCad?  I haven't been able to locate one, just questions looking for one.

Thanks!

zanthian

I haven't seen one, but if you do create one, I am sure you will make a lot of people happy.

JWBDolphins

I just put the finishing touches on it last night as a matter of fact!  I only did the pieces I actually have (ie, can measure) - specifically it only has the "standard" turnouts defined and not the #5, #6, etc.

I had to change the Preference / Connection Distance from "0.100" to "0.170" to relax the connections a little.  There's considerable play in E-Z Track so that should be fine - plus, once I did that, I was able to model all of the turnouts, ladders, etc that Terry Toenges was nice enough to layout for us.

I want to first build a layout in XTrkCad and then build it for real to make sure the pieces actually fit like the software thinks they should.  Hoping to get that done this weekend.  After that, I'll upload it to the XTrkCad forum.

JWBDolphins

OK - I just posted my Bachmann HO E-Z Track parameters file for XTrkCad in the XTrkCad Yahoo forum.  I only have the pieces defined that I actually own.  I tried to be as accurate as I could but I make no guarantees.  The layout I built in the program vs what I actually built in my basement looks pretty much the same.  Hopefully others will find this useful.

zanthian

I should hope that people will find this useful  ;D I am going to go download it and check it out. Perhaps you can link to the yahoo group so others may find it easily. Thanks for your hard work on this!

zanthian

Also, if you have any EZ track layouts that you have created, be sure to link to those as well. Thanks!

JWBDolphins

Good call on the link to the XTrkCad group!  It is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/  You have to sign up for the forum (its free).  The parameter file is in the File section and is named BachmannHOEZTrack.xtp

I Am curious as to how accurate it is in real usage.  Perhaps I should say this on the XTrkCad forum, but I have a feeling more people in this forum may use it.  The switches were the hardest to get measured accurately, and I've of course thought of a better way to measure them now that its done!   :)

The straight pieces were exactly the length advertised Except the 3" pieces.  All of the ones I have measure 2 15/16", so that's what I used.  I was also (on purpose) sparse on the piece descriptions - I wanted them to be small.

Anyone who wants to - feel free to take that file, correct anything that needs correcting, add missing pieces, etc!

Oh - and as far as posting my layout - I'd be embarrassed to post the one I Currently have - the phrase "Massive Overkill" would be accurate! - I tried to squeeze as much track into a 5'x9' space as I could!, mostly to test the parameter file with reality, but also partially so my son and I can run trains in separate circles as fast as possible!   ;D  But any interesting ones I come up with down the road, I will!  And I'm curious to see what others come up with too!