News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC problem

Started by davevid, September 08, 2007, 04:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davevid

I just received my Zepher Starter Set from Digitrax.  I'm trying to set up my BNSF # 812 Bachmann Spectrum GE Dash 8-40CW.  I already changed the address on my 2-10-0 Western Maryland Decapod with no problem.   When I place the 8-40CW on the programming track and try to read the Decoder, I get an error message indicating that there is an open circuit on the programming track and that no current draw is dectected by the programmer.  D nd code.  Additionally, I read that some locomotivex employ a motor filter in the wiring that can cause problems with the Supersonic decoders and analog operation on DCC and the capacitor should be removed for safe operation.  Any suggestions?  Help!!

SteamGene

What decoder is in the diesel?  If it's a Bachmann decoder the capacitors do not have to be cut, but if you have installed any other decoder you will need to cut all capacitors.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

davevid

The decoder is a Bachman Item no. 44915 that was installed with the train.  I even tried to run the train in Analog mode (00) on the track but it won't budge. 

Hunt

Workaround required to program a non-sound Bachmann decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr.

Workaround ---  Place a 1000 Ohm resistor across the programming track. Remove the resistor after you finish programming the Bachmann decoder.

davevid

Thanks Hunt for the information.  I tried a 100ohm resistor that came with the LT1 Cable tester and I got a different programming code so I thik we're on the right track, pardon the pun.  I will try a 1000ohm resistor when I can buy one at the local Radio Shack on  Monday.