Building with printed brick sheets

Started by Matt Bumgarner, September 02, 2007, 09:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Bumgarner

I am about to start building a brick cotton mill with Micromark Brick sheets and Grandt line windows. One effect I want to create is the "arch pattern" of bricks above the windows, but I have no idea how to do this with either paper bricks or styrene for that matter.

Anybody have any ideas how to achieve this effect?

Thanks

Matt

fieromike

Quote from: Matt Bumgarner on September 02, 2007, 09:46:54 AM
I am about to start building a brick cotton mill with Micromark Brick sheets and Grandt line windows. One effect I want to create is the "arch pattern" of bricks above the windows, but I have no idea how to do this with either paper bricks or styrene for that matter.

Anybody have any ideas how to achieve this effect?

Thanks

Matt

If all else fails, you can always cut and paste individual bricks onto the face of the building.

Mike

r.cprmier

Paper, bristol board, Strathmore, etc are often overlooked materials to use for building construction, and -yes-even rolling stock!!
This medium is easy to use, very tool and user friendly; and, if properly constructed, the brick paper, for instance, can be a dead ringer for the real McCoy-even moreso than our much vaunted plastic, or even hydrocal, and resin.

There are some skills to learn as well as ins and outs regarding your approach to this stuff, but it isn't rocket science.

At the Springfield show, this past January, I picked up two CD,s by Railroad Graphics (www.geocities.com/larcproducts), and these are probably two of the best sources for print copy I have seen to date.  I have printed their wall material-be it wood or masonery-on heavy paper (65lb, available at Staples, etc) and have done some very nice flats, whereas I would have had to shell out mucho dinero for flat structures from Uncle Phillie.

If anyone is going to try it  and need some helpful hints, I may be able to help you, but you will find a lot more on line; go to your info provider.

Suggestion?  Try it-you'll like it!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

I haven't heard Strathmore or bristol board mentioned in years. If you look at Model Railroader articles from the 40s and 50s, these papers were the mainstay building materials.

I have seen samples of printed brickwork and they are really great. The Railroad Graphics papers are super!

r.cprmier

Woody;
This year, I had to do a flat that had to be about 300 feet long, industrial, and lots and lots of windows.  My friend, Uncle Don Tichy, supplied me with the industrial windows, fireescapes, etc I needed for plastic parts; and I downloaded the right brick from those CDs.

This building is across a double track mainline, right across from the engine servicing facilities to be constructed, and it is really neat.  I laugh to myself everytime someone says: "Hey, where'd you get that kit?"  Am I very happy with Strathmore, and Bristol board?  Yes.  There are many places on a layout that they will do admirably well-and be cheap, too! 

I remember EL Moore in MRC in the fifties and sixties, and his work with balsa, cardstock, etc.  I cracked up when he once quipped:  "I used balsa, ad Mr. Northeastern hates me.  If you use real basswood, then maybe Mr. Northeastern won't hate you". Moore was a card.  No one could ever replace his wit and talent.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!