News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New EZ track switches

Started by ftauss, September 24, 2013, 03:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftauss

Since I have a fairly large quantity of EZ track (acquired both free and at very good discounts) and don't think I'll have a more permanent N layout anytime in the near future, I'm going to tough it out despite some issues.

I have a  stack of the older switches some of which work better than others that I intend to more carefully troubleshoot. In the meantime the new(er) #6 and #4 switches, is there enough experience that they are better, worse, or the same as the original 12.5" radius turnouts?

Presumably power routing like the older ones?

Main issues I experienced were incomplete throws, engines picking the points, power (not) routing. Having stepped away from it for two years, I think I've gained a little perspective, not all were new when I bought (or was given) them but still, knowing these were for beginners you'd think they'd be more robust.

Presuming not all will survive my retesting and will need replacing. Anyway the smaller diverging angle looks like it might be easier for longer locos and cars to pass though them.

So anyone use them yet or the #6 crossovers? What has been your experience?

brokemoto

I have no experience with the #6s, but the newer #4s are better.  It is easier to follow the directions for connecting the wires on the newer version.  You do get fewer derailments and stalling.  I like them better than I do the Kato.  The Kato #4s are frequent causes of derailments.  Oddly enough, there are fewer derailments on both with steam than diseasels.  Often, the pilot trucks of steam locomotives like to derail on less than perfect track.  This is not the case with either B-mann or Kato. 

James in FL

Search this forum for turnouts, rack, or pinion. There has been a ton of discussion on how to tune the old turnouts.

Good luck