News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to the Hobby

Started by Day Sailer, September 25, 2013, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Day Sailer

Hi, I'm new to the hobby of model trains.

About 10 years ago I bought  a Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 and had it displayed on my fireplace mantel.  Getting closer to retirement, Ive decided that this 2-6-0 would be interesting to get going.  I bought some track (brass) and a power unit (EZ Command).
I also bought on the internet a used Royal blue line by Bachmann.  It was explained that it was broken, the front wheels were missing and a few parts on the engine had broken off, and he also explained he did not know if it ran, because he had bought it at an auction.  It did come with the caboose and passenger cars  I only wanted the passenger cars to pull behind the Spectrum.

The first time I placed the Spectrum on the track, it would not go.  I can hear the motor winding but it just does not go.  I think one of the gears is stripped.  I did notice that the wheels turn freely.

I did at the same time run the Royal Blue, and that ran fine.  I also noticed that the Royal Blue wheels do not turn freely.

I just received the power booster for the EZ Command, but have not tired it yet.

Any Ideas?

Thank you

Doneldon

Sailor-

First of all, welcome to the hobby and this board. I'm sure you'll find that some of the many aspects of model railroading are of great interest to you and that this board will prove to be a valuable and friendly resource.

The fact that the wheels (I'm assuming you mean the drive wheels, the larger ones with the attached side rods) turn on your Mogul does indeed mean you have a problem in the drive system, most likely a stripped gear. Bachmann offers a lifetime guarantee on all of their trains so you can send it to them with $25 for shipping and handling and they'll repair it for you or replace it. You can find the information you need here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php

The drivers on your Royal Blue should not turn freely and you will break the drive system if you force them to turn. So ... it sounds like you have an operating Royal Blue train after all. A passenger train like this would never have been pulled by something like your 2-6-0 except perhaps around a yard. It needs the speed and power of a mainline locomotive like the Pacific which came with your set.

Again, welcome aboard.
                                                                                                                                                    -- D

Day Sailer

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Day Sailor

ebtnut

The memory fads a bit in my dotage, but I don't recall a Spectrum 2-6-0 from 10 years ago.  The 2-8-0, yes.  If that's the case, then it is likely that the drive belt has failed, which would allow the motor to turn but not the drivers.  Replacement belts are available from Bachmann, if you are handy enough to partially disassemble the loco to do the replacement. 

Day Sailer

Yes, I still have the box and all the goodies in it.  I have not opened the plastic bags with the little men. 

It has a VHS video to watch which might date it, on the unopened video box, thru the plastic covering,  it says "locomotive History and Maintenance  Spectrum 2-6-0.

I also have a mail in card to order a 156  page full color catalog, and that has a date of 2000.  But I think I bought it in 2002 or 3.  The photo copy of the warranty card is a bit blurred and I can not make out the date.

I'm pretty sure its over 10 years old, and it is still new, never been used.  I bought it on Concord St. in Manchester New Hampshire, but do not recall the name of the shop.  Its been on my fireplace mental for years.
Thanks for your input, I have a lot to learn.

Bucksco

I believe he is referring to the Large Scale 2-6-0 Mogul....

Day Sailer

Doneldon