News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

33" Wheels too long for cars

Started by PatBarr, September 27, 2013, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatBarr

I want to replace the plastic wheels on some of my cars with metal ones.  I bought 33" wheels from Bachmann and the are too long even for Bachmann's cars.  The axles are longer and more pointed.  What do these fit?  Can I modify them to fit my cars?

Thanks, Pat

jward

you don't really want to modify the wheelsets. they are precision made, and any modifications you make to them will probably make them run worse.

you can, however, easily modify the trucks to accept these wheelsets by using a truck tuning tool to ream out the journals on the trucks. try micromark's web site for truck tuners. this modest investment will pay off in smoother running cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I just purchased an HO Truck Tuner from Micro Mark and I like the job it does.  The cutting end needs to be turned clockwise in the truck to do the job. 
Reboxx, another wheelset manufacturer, also puts out a similar tool.  This fellow carries them, along with other train items:

http://www.bobthetrainguy.com/

Speaking of trucks, I just put an order in with Accurail for some Bettendorf trucks to put metal wheelsets in.  It was a choice between them or Tichy trucks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Catt

Personaly I think every HO (or On30) modeler should invest in a truck tuner.I have some Bachmann,LifeLike,and TYCO cars that now roll just as nice as my more expencive cars because I took the time to use the truck tuner on them.

I just wish there was a N scale version.

jbrock27

I agree Catt, it makes for great improvement in wheel spin.  That said, I have to admit that the more time goes on, the more I see the value in the advice to shy away from rolling stock that needs a tremendous amount of investment to update (when you don't already have those parts on hand).  I am seeing that many times a car purchased for a less expensive price, turns out to cost the same or more than a more modern version with the modern conveniences.  Plus the new car usually has nicer detail.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

To Patbarr :  Whose brand of truck were you trying to replace the wheel sets from ? Wheel sets do come in differnt lengths and style of ends as well as diameters . I have found that most of the Bachmann cars use approximately the same type of wheelsets . If you have a Walthers reference catalog you will be able to find the different wheelsets listed in their section on couplers and trucks . Good hunting J2.   Ps : i agree wiith the comments about the truck tuning tool from Micro-Mark , I am going to purchase one next time I have to replace more wheelsets.

JNXT 7707

Quote from: jbrock27 on September 28, 2013, 10:53:43 AM
I agree Catt, it makes for great improvement in wheel spin.  That said, I have to admit that the more time goes on, the more I see the value in the advice to shy away from rolling stock that needs a tremendous amount of investment to update (when you don't already have those parts on hand).  I am seeing that many times a car purchased for a less expensive price, turns out to cost the same or more than a more modern version with the modern conveniences.  Plus the new car usually has nicer detail.

jbrock: based on pure dollars and cents, I see your point - after adding Kadees, metal wheels, possible changing the trucks, adding some extra details, etc. you can easily equal or exceed the purchase price of a brand new car - but where's the fun in that?  ???  There are those of us that really enjoy bringing these older cars back to life. Something special about running an old car that you could have seen running around the Christmas tree in 1970 (give or take a few years!) I think it's one aspect of the hobby I enjoy the most. 8)
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

jbrock27

Oh, I know JNX I am guilty of enjoying the fun in that as well!  Since I also have a lot of those old cars from the 1970's Christmas tree as well, I have done that on quite a few.  If I did not get some enjoyment out of it, I would have stopped at one.  I also like to try my hand at doing things, to see if I can do them.
That said, I can admit I see the logic in the other point of few of just going for items that already come with these improvements.  For me sometimes, cost benefit analysis can overrule sentimentally.
Keep Calm and Carry On

JNXT 7707

Understand completely jb. It's funny how I can balk at the prices charged for new rolling stock/locos but see total sense in throwing money at these old relics  ;D
But I have fun doing it, so I guess that's the point.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

jbrock27

I hear you.  By the same token, you won't catch me buying a $20 piece of rolling stock! ;D  Somewhere in between works for me and my son.  Plus, we don't have curves that can handle a lot of the longer wheel based (more expensive) stuff.

I do like the investment of the metal RP-25 wheels.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

As much as I like Tichy's product line, I could never get into thier trucks.  I like their mechanical design concept, but I was always a bit too dissatisfied.  I have tried the lot of them, and for my money-with accurail as an exception, I will go to Kadee every time.  I have never looked muchly at  Bachmann, so I cannot comment in that way.   I like the fact that they [kadee] are sprung and proportionally correct; and they come equipped with metal wheels.  Beautiful!!!  Who could ask for more??  I only wish they made 4-wheel pax trucks circa: 1910.  I had purchased a dozen sets of them from Branchline Hobbies before they were absorbed by Horizon.
So, I now have a bunch of Kadee sprung trucks, and some Accurail and Branchline.  Oh-I left out Greenway.   For the money, they are pretty much top-shelf.
RIch C.

PatBarr

Thanks for all the good advise.  I'm going to buy a HO Truck Tuner from Micro Mark.  I was able to very lightly grind the tips down and they work much better than the plastic ones.

Thanks, Pat

jbrock27

Thanks for the info RichC.  I did buy a few Tichy trucks at one time and even though they are delrin, they look cheap.  The wheels and axles that come with their trucks are delrin too, but they did not thrill me.  Sounds like ordering the Accurail trucks was the way to go.
Keep Calm and Carry On