Dumb Question on a Bachmann S-2 (63310) and Sound swap

Started by timhar47, September 28, 2013, 09:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Hi - silly question of the day, but at an extra $110, I 'd rather be sure.

I got a new S-2 DC (DCC READY) (63310) in CB&Q. I was wondering if I bought a Soundvalue model, say the PRR 63403 (S-2 w/DCC & SOUND) can I swap the Engine shells to make it the CB&Q that has the sound?

Thanks - Tim

Doneldon

tim-

Yes, you should be able to swap shells with very little trouble but it will make for a terribly expensive locomotive. You can find exploded diagrams of both the DCC-Ready and Sound Value S2s on this site.I suppose you could put the Pennsy shell on your Burlington chassis and sell it on ebay but you'd be selling a used locomotive, which will lower your price, and you'll still have to pay shipping and sales fees. I think you'd be better off installing a sound decoder and speaker. That won't e a very big job since your unit is DCC-Ready, and you'll also have the opportunity to pick the decoder and speaker of your choice.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

timhar47

Thanks for the info.

The S-2 that I bought , even though its DCC ready, it doesnt have the predrilled speaker hole, and I am not into that kind of stuff. I can get the sound loco for $109, switch the shells, and resell the PRR as analog, it would still be like new, as i am building the layout now, engine is TRO. I would end up paying the normal (online price) which I would have paid if there had been a CB&Q w/sound to start with, or maybe a bit less, depending on how it worked out..

wjstix

If you can find a sound-equipped CB&Q Alco, whether an S-2 or other Alco engine with sound, you could run the sound and non-sound engines together. I do switching work with a sound-equipped NW-2 back to back with a non-sound SW-1200. From more than a couple of feet away, you can't really tell that only one unit has sound.

utdave

i built me a sound powered box car.  can hook up to any loco and its not the correct sound  but gives any loco horns, bell and motor sound.