News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problems with DCC

Started by Ohmisterporter, September 07, 2007, 04:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohmisterporter

After a year of running my On30 trains on dc I finally bought an E-Z command dcc controller, and now have problems. When running my Davenport and consolidation on dc they run quietly and smoothly at all speeds, and the headlights work. On dcc the lights do not work and there is a buzzing/humming sound at low speeds. In fact their behaviour is the exact opposite to that which I expected. What am I doing wrong?

All the equipment is Bachmann, and I am test running on a stretch of straight E-Z track with no switches. Could it be the E-Z command that is at fault? I also have a brand new railtruck that I have never run in case I'm doing some damage to the decoders.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Geoff.

C.P.R.R. Manager

I've noticed that my DCC locos don't turn on their headlights until I press the Function 10 button.  Do the headlights work when you do that?  Also, you might see what happens to the background noise when you press Function 8, which should mute all sounds.  You may be hearing static, but it may also be the "background noise" that locos make when sitting still.  The hiss of steam sounds a lot like static.

Hunt

An entry-level Bachmann decoder operates the locomotive's motor at a frequency heard by people with normal hearing as a hum, buzz or whine.

If the noise is a nuisance, replace the Bachmann decoder with a decoder that operates at a frequency beyond normal human hearing. The type of decoder is general referred to as a silent running type decoder.

If using DCC to run a locomotive without a decoder installed…  the noise is normal. BUT I suggest you not run a locomotive without a decoder installed as it is running hot and even hotter at the standstill, over time you will damage the motor.

Ohmisterporter

Problem sorted! I wiggled the wire from controller to track and everything started to work! Symptoms of a faulty wire. Now there is a taped up fold in the wire and I am running trains on DCC. Headlights on and off, two trains on the same track at different speeds and directions, what a revelation!
Thanks for the advice guys.
Geoff.