News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Aristocraft

Started by tlnibert, October 01, 2013, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlnibert

It's a sad day, I just got an email from Aristocraft. They are closing their doors 12-31-2013.
I know they will be missed.
Tom

Jose Morais

I hope Bachmann will take over some of the Aristo line, at least the modern 1:29 diesels and freight cars.

They would complement their new 1:29 tramway.

Just a coincidence?
Headmaster, CF da Lapa Furada, Portugal

smcgill

Should be intersting as to who picks up some of there products and if they improve them.

Loco Bill Canelos

Just got my email as well, it is sad to see.  I would love to see Bachmann pick up the Revolution product line and at least some of the 1/29 scale rolling stock and Loco's.  My local dealer has been expecting this since last fall, and warned me to get what I wanted as soon as possible.  Scott Polk denied it at the convention as well.  I should have listened, but I did not believe it.

Sad but true, I find myself wondering what the future is for large scale, Aristo gone, LGB still in trouble, USAT not coming out with new product.   I have heard Bachmann is still in good shape because they have such a wide product market, G Scale sales are down except for Thomas.  There is so much large scale product on Ebay it boggles the mind and this huge used market cuts into new product sales almost certainly.   

Hope Bachmann will pick up the product line!!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

I recommend you re-read the email.  It states that Polk Hobbies is closing, not AristoCraft.  I also received an email from Navin - as best as I can tell, Crest has been separated from Arisro and an attempt to keep it going is afoot.

Not sure exactly what is happening, but only a blind man would not have seen this coming.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob, 

Time will tell how things shake out, but I also got an email from Navin indicating he had moved the Crest line of products including all the Revolution products to his home.  I assume this is temporary till he gets something better going.  Navin is a great guy so I hope it works out for him and us. 

I had not heard that Aristo Craft was separated from Polk's so it will be interesting to see what happens.  Would love to see Bachamnn pick it up!

Let us know if you find out more!

Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Here is the link to Navin's new Crest Electronics web page. 

http://shop.crest-electronics.net/main.sc

Chastity

Polk's is closing but Aristocraft and RMT are a part of that Polk's hobby and the forum on Aristocraft pretty much confirms that is the end of the line as they currently are.

I imagine that Kader owns the mold work rather than Polk's and thus it could be up for someone else to say let's make a run. 

Not sure about Bachmann trains though they did have a distribution with Aristo at one time and Kader makes the Bachmann trains as they also made the Aristo trains.  So it is not beyond realm of possibility however, the market would have to be looked at carefully.

Personally, though the market place and economy have a lot to do with it, I think Aristo made some major mistakes along the way.  Each manufacturer does, but with Aristo it seemed to me they made some real missteps (the long awaited SD9 then we don't make to reservation, the same with the cylindrical hopper, the we can't find replacement tires for the roadrailers and on and on).

M1FredQ

Chastity

That means Aristocraft and RMT will be no more or just Polk's Hobby Shop?

Chastity

Yes, no more Aristo. Already Trainworld sent out an ad saying get em while stock lasts.
Hey, Piko picked up the old MDC molds, so who knows we might see Aristo years down
the line but under a different name (maybe even Aristocraft by Bachmann).

petertoot

:'(yes,it is a day we will be sad to see,and there products,will still be in our yards,layouts,etc,I am glad I bought a southern loco,5 pass cars in the crescent colors,these are lovely units,thanks to all at aristocraft,Peter in Ozzie!,

M1FredQ

I really liked them. My first venture into Large scale was after my wife and I were married and HAD to have a train around our first Christmas tree together.

I bought a Aristocraft set with a 0-4-0 UP Steamer and 3 passenger cars, it came with track and a transformer. We still have the set and it has been through 5 kids and a 4 cats and Chocolate Lab!!!!!!!!!! I also bought other Aristocraft engines,rolling stock, cabooses etc and I am a O-Gauge guy. The stuff is still running although the RS-3 has all its railings broken off and the Bobber Caboose has most of the railings gone. But all of it runs and the kids love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will miss them. Lots of Nostalgia for us.

At the Botanical Gardens in a northern suburb of Chicago they have a HUGE layout set up every year during the Christmas Season and the maintainence fellas told us most of what they have and use is Aristocraft. Also the Tall Tree Gardens here in Indiana uses Aristocraft. They have a web site. It will amaze you the size of the set up outdoors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tac

My concern now is what to do about the inevitable down-the-line need for spares - I have five each SD45 and Dash 9, and four FA+B.  It was bad enough that here in UK we had to contact Navin over in the US of A, but now?

Hmmmmmmmm.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Loco Bill Canelos

I will be buying car or two just for parts.  Just the cheap used ones on E bay.  Same with locos many of the motor blocks will work on more than one type of loco.  

A couple of weeks ago I got a nice mint Aristo Box car with metal wheels for $28.18.  Just got an Aristo box car for $22.36, bought it for parts but it was so nice I will run it. LOL now I will have to buy another one for parts. ::)

The Idea of buying a car for parts makes sense. Have you looked at the prices and shipping on little separate parts. You could easily pay $25 to $30 for a set of couplers, a brakewheel and a ladder. Buy the whole car and you get a hell of a lot more parts for your buck.

I do the same for my Bachmann goodies.

Tac, hopefully you could cannibalize one Sd-45, one Dash 9 and one FA or B for parts.  You seem to be rich in locomotives ;D ;D.    Not long ago I saw an FB go for $40 in running condition on EBay. It seemed to have all the parts.  

tac

Good plan, Bill.  But they are looking at me right now from their shelves and saying 'Please don't take me to pieces...'

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS