Williams Locos operating on 031 track

Started by trainman707, October 07, 2013, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman707

I realize there is another area for O questions, however there are no responses on questions in that area.

I'm interested in purchasing a SD90 however it navigates O-31 curves. Does that mean it will not navigate a 027 curve?

Please don't kick me too hard....I'm a large scale guy putting a O scale around the ceiling of my garage.

Thanks for any information!

the Bach-man

Dear 707,
It MAY go around 027, but it will operate and look better on O-31.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Joe Satnik

Dear tm,

One warning, three opinions:

Warning:  Trains on tracks are derailments waiting to happen. 

A 4+ pound loco falling from 9 feet up will put quite a dent in your head and then destroy itself hitting the concrete. 

You will need a good strong fence (or some other reliable means) to stop the fall. 

Opinion 1:  The long modern diesel locos already look awkward navigating O-31.

Opinion 2:  There are very few unanswered questions on the Williams by Bachmann sub-forum. 

Opinion 3:  This thread should be moved there. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear tm,

Just trying to read between the lines here:

I'm guessing that you might have a lot of Lionel 0-27 tin plate track available. 

If so, consider buying a circle of higher diameter track, but of the same profile as O-27. 

Marx had 8 per circle O-34 that you should be able to find (on auction sites, e.g.),

and Lionel has 12 per circle O-42, and 16 per circle O-54 in the lower O-27 profile.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

trainman707

Thanks Joe.  I'm using a combination of MTH RealTrax and Lionel Fastrax.  Mostly MTH.  I was concerned with the look of a longer loco making the curves...just wouldn't look right even if it did make the curve was my thinking.  I will stick with the shorter F units that I already have.  Was just wanting another diesel for freight service.

The train I'm running now is the Lionel Ski Train set I purchased in 2010 for our Dept. 56 display.  We have since sold our D56 collection however kept the train.  Been sitting on my desk for some time.  Decided to do something indoor with it and put up some shelving to run it around the garage. 

Not sure what all I will do with this, however will give me something to do in the winter months.   

Doneldon

t707-

Viewing the overhang of long equipment from the underside of tight curves
is really unpleasant, much more than from above. Stick to wider curves or
shorter equipment.
                                                                                      -- D

phillyreading

Your SD-90 will go around 027 curves but not go through the curved portion of an 027 switch as it will hit the switch housing, especially the Lionel 027 switches.
Gagraves makes a nice switch in 031 that will mate to 027 track with just some adapter pins, no heigth issues, and no switch housing clearances to deal with.

Lee F.

3rail

Dear All,

When we say that an item will navigate a curve size, it is the minimum recommended size.  The SD90 WILL NOT run on O-27 curves without modification.

As a general rule if a locomotive is 14 inches or shorther, it will run on O-27 track.  Larger than 14 inches requires at least O-31.  The SD90 is almost 18 inches long.

Regards,

3rail