News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Conner and Caitlin

Started by Fergusfan17, October 07, 2013, 09:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fergusfan17

How would I go about making these two (scratch-build, pre-made models I could just paint, etc.)?

PaulGWR

You would have to buy a brass Dreyfus Hudson and scratchbuild Caitlin's prototype, I wouldn't suggest this because they are expensive models as there are only brass ones available (or brass hybrid)

Fergusfan17

Quote from: sodorfan on October 08, 2013, 03:26:28 PM
You would have to buy a brass Dreyfus Hudson and scratchbuild Caitlin's prototype, I wouldn't suggest this because they are expensive models as there are only brass ones available (or brass hybrid)
Woah that IS expensive!!! :O Any alternatives?

Fergusfan17

PaulGWR

I don't know any others alternitives but I did see an article in a magazine about kit bashing a bachmann k4 pacific into Caitlen's prototype.

GG1onFordsDTandI

MTH-ho makes a Dryfuss Hudson, but its not exactly cheap. I would have a hard time bashing one just because they are so pretty as is. I think watching "the auction sites" is your best bet for an older donor.
Revell and Monogram(metal) made 1:87 static models of Hudsons. You could maybe use the shells to start, but they dont have the streamlining.

Fergusfan17

Sigh..... Never mind. Whatever, but completely off topic for this thread, how would I make a Stephen model? What about Fergus? Harvey? This is now the "How to Make _______ as a Model!" Thread, btw.

TobyTheTram16

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on October 13, 2013, 04:55:53 PM
Sigh..... Never mind. Whatever, but completely off topic for this thread, how would I make a Stephen model? What about Fergus? Harvey? This is now the "How to Make _______ as a Model!" Thread, btw.
I suggest finding a OO/HO gauge model of Stephenson's Rocket and modify it to your liking, Sacredwolfie made his own model of Stephen. Here's a test video of it....
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUY2l0kOISFQVRmv94o8W7lA&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DUUY2l0kOISFQVRmv94o8W7lA#/watch?v=ngUlt8xTaJs&feature=plpp

PaulGWR

He also made a Harvey with a good chassis (a pug?) and some etchings by a friend of his
But my suggestions would be to use a good doner for a chassis and body

As for fergus, I would probably use an Ertl model, but that would require a lot of cutting and soldering, I really don't know

raveoned

I'm not sure how much work you'd want to put in it, but some time ago, the store Restoration Hardware did a tin Dreyfuss Hudson, which was pretty much HO size.

They can still be found on ebay, and for not a lot of money.  They could be made to have the boiler and tender bodies fitted to compatible chassis to run on HO track.

SmokeyNSteamer

BTW:  The closest match to Catlin's prototype is a streamlined PRR K4s Pacific.  As for finding both a NYC Dreyfuss Hudson and a streamlined PRR K4s at reasonable price, I am clueless.  Try eBay or even scratchbuilding.