News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS3 Locomotive

Started by Davies, October 07, 2013, 11:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davies

I purchased second hand this loco with damaged and missing hand rail supports. I have managed to replicate the brass rail but am unable to buy or locate any spare supports can any one help as I am based in Adelaide South Australia. I wish to purchase 11 left and 11 right then this can be classed as restored  I am thinking of 3d printing but may be too brittle , looking forward to some feedback many thanks

Bucksco

Bachmann does not produce an RS-3 in Large Scale. Suggest the USA Trains or Aristo website.

scottychaos

Bachmann does make an HO scale RS3 however..
So Davies either placed his post in the wrong (Bachmann) forum, and he does have an HO scale Bachmann RS3.
Or he has an Aristocraft Large Scale RS3.

If its the Aristocraft RS3, you wont get new handrails from the manufacturer..
Aristocraft is going out of business right now.

Scot

tac

The OP MUST have the large scale RS3, as the HO version does not have separate handrail stanchions, the items in question being moulded in one piece of semi-flexible plastic.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

GG1onFordsDTandI

Best to act fast. From what Ive read elsewhere, they(Aristo) are taking normal business only till Dec. Some of the other names associated with them will continue.   

M1FredQ

I have an Aristo Large Scale RS-3 which over the years since 1999 and 5 kids has lost most of its railings.

I haven't cared much to replace them because  I wanted to wait till my 2 younger ones got a little older BUT

with Aristo going out I am going to look into a replacement set and will let you know  what i find out!!

Thanks for drawing my attention to it as Christmas is coming

doug c

IF they have in stock,  they will sell you replacements if ordered !

Referring to their online parts diagram http://aristocraftforum.com/NewDocs/explodedDiagrams/rs3.pdf ,   might help ya out in selecting missing parts and original applicable #.

"..If its the Aristocraft RS3, you wont get new handrails from the manufacturer..
Aristocraft is going out of business right now.  Scot "

Not closed till end of this year (Dec.) !!  .... Not even end of October yet !!

doug c

"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

dgtrrco

Davies if you have an aristocraft RS3 you can make your own handrails. A little soldering and your all set. Here's a web site to buy all sorts of brass metal stock from. They ship rather quickly. http://www.ksmetals.com/ I have made quite a few handrails for my g scale locos and my Bachmann Pass cars. Use a little steelwool to shiny up the ends and they solder up nicely. I cant remember the size of the brass round stock I used it was the size of a paper clip. Maybe you might know or have a micrometer and size it. Good luck. GENE

dgtrrco

Hi don't know whether you get the garden RR magazine but there is an article in there on how to make handrails which is rather easy to do:

GG1onFordsDTandI

If you have no luck finding them, Ive made handrails for S, and O before, not very hard. Brass or stainless wire, and stanchions (upright poles) from the detailing market (I had stainless leftovers from model boats[hint]). Cotter pins with a washer glued/soldered on as a base work surprisingly well and look better than you would think. You could likely fill the cotter pin split with solder if the gap line bothers you visually. Small shoulder bolts, heads cut off, and a hole drilled through it are another option.