News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting to DCC

Started by devious56, September 07, 2007, 04:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devious56

Here is another question for the assembly.  I have an older 4-4-0 American and tender, and would like to know if I can resonably convert it from DC to DCC operation?  I sure would like to be able to use this locomotive on my layout.

Thanks,
David
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Hunt

If you have the one with the motor in the tender, then you will likely need over-the-shoulder supervision to add a decoder.

I suggest your money better spent purchasing a DCC equipped, Modern version Richmond 4-4-0 American even if you decide to replace the Bachmann decoder with another.

ta152h0

I have a few favorite locomotives to convert. I bought a decoder that came with detailed instructions including a step by step conversion. You are going to have to get the proper connectors ( wire harness, maybe a can motor, a ohm meter, headlight and taillight lamps of proper specs, good set of eyes, soldering iron,  patience, a DCC system you are going to build on.

ta152h0

Just had a brain dump. How about converting a gondola car into a DCC system carrier and running a three vehicle train as the motive power section ?  the gondola would be part of the tender assuming you have a long enough wire harness.

SteamGene

Wouldn't a box car be better for hiding a decoder?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

Sure. After you troubleshoot the system, and  working in good order, you can always fill the gondola with foam rocks and hide the non-period hardware.

Jim Banner

A Digitrax DZ123 decoder could be a good choice for this conversion.  It is very small, yet powerful enough to handle many H0 locomotives.  As always, check your locomotive's current draw first before installing any decoder.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

devious56

Hey Hunt,

Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks.  Completely different engine, different time frame.  I'll just play around with it and see what happens.  Maybe I can find someone local that will babysit while I tear it apart.

David
;D
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?